Teresa

Im sorry to hear about Steve suffering so much. Towards the ends of treatments, it gets very difficult.

Swallowing.... No matter how bad it gets, keep making him swallow. So far sounds like you are doing good with that.

Skin.....I used Beta Val cream, its prescription. Do NOT rub his skin when it is in such bad condition. When he is finished with his treatment, before you pull out of the parking lot, dab the cream on. Its ok if it isnt rubbed in, it will soak in. My neck was so raw that they had to bandage my neck before the mask could go on. The gel that Charms mentioned sounds like another great product, wish I had been able to use that too. Never put cream on before going into radiation.

Talking.....Alot of us doing radiation lost our ability to speak. I lost my voice for about 3 weeks---kids loved it. LOL

Pain patch..... 50 is nothing!!!! At the end, I went from 75, to 100, 125, then 150 within 2 weeks. If Steve is still uncomfortable 24 hours after an increase, tell the docs. He shouldnt have to rely on extra pain meds to feel ok. Pain management is a very important part of tx. It does not help a patient to be in pain.

How many more radiation treatments? Hope I was of some help to you.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma