Hi Teresa,
I'm so sorry to hear that Andy is going through such a tough time. My skin didn't break down until the week after treatment and it went a deep crimson colour and peeled off. I was given an ointment called 'solugel' and then I had a waxy dressing over that and then a covering. This worked quite well but I found my daily shower a real challenge - that was when it really hurt.

I also pretty much stopped swallowing for a couple of weeks but am able to swallow water now with no real problem. You really do get to a point where it is pure torture to swallow anything, so don't be too hard on Andy if he is reluctant to to do it while he is at his worst.

I think that I spent about 3 weeks in a really dark place and I know that I barked at anyone (especially my husband who is also an Andy) who tried to push me to do things, especially when they might cause pain. I am still reluctant to swallow but I think it is more the memory of the pain, than the small amount that I now have.

I wish I had something that could make this easier for you both, but Andy does still have a way to go before he starts to feel better. Hang in there though because this time next month he will have emerged from that dark tunnel................

Good Luck
You're in my prayers

Sue

55 y/o
SCC LL Tongue 3/27/07
Part. mandibulectomy 9/2/07
Left ND 5/12/08
RT/Chemo
Rec LL Tongue 07/09
Part gloss 8/5 & 8/25
Surg 10/28/09 re mets to R neck & L jaw
RT & Chemo finished 12/22/09