The NHS is "free" for everyone wether you have a job or not Presriptions are charged at �7.50 per item or free if you are on a low income or welfare or have a long term illness.The origonal intention was that everyone who worked would pay a percentage of their earnings in national insurance to cover the cost of dental,maternity and health care .Nowdays their isn't free dental care,just subsidised unless you are on welfare,but the NHS soldiers on.Income tax in the UK is charged at 18 pence in the pound on earnings over �5000 and national insurance is much less.I was gob smacked when i read how much Cecilia said she pays and i could only presume she is one of the UK top earners and in the super tax bracket.As a self employed man my husband paid approximately �25.00 per month and as an employee i used to pay about �60.00 per month.If i was to add up how much robs treatment, medication welfare rent allowance etc came to i would guess it would run into hundreds of thousands of pounds,and i think thats a good return for a very small investment.the bottom line really is that no matter who you are or what you earn or even if you don't earn anything,in the UK we NEVER have to worry about what we can and can't afford as regards health care,as we all get it without question and we all get the same unless we choose to opt out and insure ourselves privately in which case the waiting time is substantially reduced and you get a fancy private hospital,but the doctors are the same ones you see on the NHS.

Last edited by Cookey; 08-21-2009 11:53 PM.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.