I posted several days ago under the General Board regarding the importance of dental screening prior to radiation Tx. It seems that no such screening was done in my case early last year and now I am facing issues because of it. I have now learned that I will have to endure 20 2 hour rounds of hyperbaric oxygen treatment prior to the extraction of a lower right side wisdom tooth. I will then have to have 10 such treatments following the extraction, all of this as a guard against ORN.

The facility here in Atlanta where I am to have the treatments only has the individual hyperbaric chambers which I had a look at last week when I had the consult. I am hoping to be able to tolerate the close quarters of the units and would like to hear from anyone else who has had to have HBO treatments. I understand that the treatments do not guarantee against ORN but does anyone know to what degree the treatments improve the chances?

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.