Stephany,
I had my tube inserted during the fourth week of treatments. It took a week to schedule the insertion after the decision to get one.

Because my throat and mouth was already pretty sore because of the treatment, I asked that they use a pediatric catheter (or whatever it is called) to insert the tube because it is narrower and didn't rub against the radiated tissue as much. The procedure to install the tube usually involves three 'staple' like metal things that hold the stomach close to the abdominal wall so that it doesn't move once the tube is installed. This can lead to some pain immediately after the procedure.

I was told to wash around the outside of the tube where it met my abdomen with antibacterial soap and warm water each day to prevent infection.

Although the procedure was a bit of a hassle, having the tube was a big improvement in terms of nourishment. It was so much easier to stay hydrated and nourished.

I had a big plastic injection tube that I used to pour Ensure or Boost into and let gravity drip it into my stomach. Also available was a bag that would hang like an IV bag that dripped more slowly than the tube and could be used while sleeping. I never tried it but it might be helpful to your mom if she is sleepy and wants to get some nourishment while asleep. Best wishes, Sheldon

Dx 1/29/04, SCC, T2N0M0
Tx 2/12/04 Surgery, 4/15/04 66 Gy. radiation (36 sessions)
Dx 3/15/2016, SCC, pT1NX
Tx 3/29/16 Surgery