Hi Bob,
you should remind your pastor about Job -he prayed plenty and was a man of great integrity in his faith. He was still allowed to suffer. At least his story had a happy outcome. Pastors that say stuff like that drive me nuts (besides he sounds like one of Job's so called "friends". I, unfortunately, have met more than one pastor that was a lousy counselor. I really believe that some pastors shouldn't even talk to people one on one unless that have either professional training or a spiritual gift of counseling. Oh well - none of us are perfect.

I do believe, however, that disease is from Satan as well as the fear, helplessness and hopelessness. His favorite and oldest trick is to attack our minds and what better way to do that then with a life threatening illness. I heard a term today that was a wake up call "she was stricken with cancer". I never really thought of being "stricken" before.

I don't think that the reason is as important as what we do with it. We are given the opportunity as Christians to demonstrate our faith and the "fruits of the spirit" working in us under tremendous duress and many are watching (and listening).

My prayer group was encouraged by my outcome since so many they prayed for didn't survive. I am highly visible in my church being a bass player on the Wednesday worship team and Sunday programming team.

Another thing that churches often forget is that a major part of Jesus ministry on earth was healing the sick. That seems to be largely ignored in modern times.

This evening I have an earache and a sore throat (on the side opposite the cancer) so you can imagine where my "magic, magnifying mind" wants to go with it.

Thanks for sharing - it's sums up pretty well the space I'm in these days.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)