Okay guys here's an update:

Wisdom tooth will NOT be removed. When dentist checked the margins she said it had improved over past visits, so in light of everything else she can live with not removing it. She also took an x-ray of the tooth and was satisfied with it's under gumline appearance. We did make the fluoride trays, they will be ready Thursday so I can pretreat for about 4 days prior to onset of rads.
She also gave me about a dozen 2oz sample bottles of old formula Biotene dry mouth rinse and gel, the formula with lactoferrin, lysosome and sweetened with xylitol.

That means rads start on schedule, Monday, Nov 4th, a big relief as I still don't like my tumor path description...invasive and moderately differentiated.

In every piece of good news there also lies the bad (how's that for Zen duality Bart). After letting the throat culture grow for 4 days (two 48 hour periods), nothing has grown, ie infection is not bacterial in nature, that's why augmentin didn't work. So, it's likely viral and only thing we can do is let it run it's course. I've asked, there are no anti-virals to treat this. I know she got a good culture sample as I could see the green @#$% on the swab myself.

So, my week 3 treatment symptoms (sore throat, but not dry mouth) started 2 weeks prior to first rads, ain't life great! Let's hope it cures out prior to rads so I can get at least a little of the honeymoon period.

This too shall pass.

Tony

Last edited by n74tg; 10-28-2013 01:40 PM.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good