Had a good visit with the ENT today. He was pleased with my progress, good healing, no neck swelling (lymph nodes), appetite and diet back to normal, little to no pain. So he released me to oncology.

Tumor is staged as T2N0M0; about as good as I could hope for. Only bad news was after getting a printed copy of all my medical records I find the chest CT showed a 4cm aortic aneurism. That scared me, but ENT said to continue exercising normally and to discuss with PCP if still bothered (I am and I will).

The VA uses a tumor board approach. ENT said my case was presented on Monday to ENT, medical oncology, radiation oncology and surgery; all agreed radiation (but not chemo) is appropriate next step, that treatment to be six weeks of 5 days per week.

Then the really good news came when I returned home to an answering machine message asking if I wanted to do the rads locally instead of driving to Little Rock (1hr drive) daily. Of course was my answer.

So next week I should have my initial consult with radiation and then get started with treatment.

As I live about 8 minutes away from the treatment center I may not need any drivers.

Keeping fingers crossed.
Tony

Last edited by n74tg; 10-10-2013 03:04 PM.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good