Okay, let me try to answer your questions/concerns.

Yes, I have a copy of all my medical records except for most recent office visits. I will get those shortly.

No, I am not being treated at a CCC of which there are none in Arkansas and I am unable to move to another state at this time to get to one.

The VA is the only medical coverage I have. To abandon them at this point is not an option as that puts me into the pay as you go group for what I figure is exorbitantly expensive (potentially bankrupting) treatment.

The RO says he sees one enlarged lymph node (about 1cm size) on same side as tumor. He says it's "of interest", but obviously not of enough interest to require a biopsy or chemo at this time. He did say to not rule out chemo in the future, but right now we are going to start radiation.

He is a Radiation Oncology Diplomat of the American Board of Radiology and has being doing radiation oncology for over 20 years, so I don't feel I'm working with a newbie. No, I haven't yet looked up what a Diplomat level experience level signifies. It could indicate anything from a brand new member, all the way up to highly experienced, highly respected. If you guys know anything particular, I'd like to know.

Christine and I have discussed this a little already. One thing she mentioned has kind of stuck with me, and that is do you have confidence in your doctors. If you do, then continue down this road, if not then change something.

I have only met with this RO once for my initial consult. Yes, he brought up that he didn't necessarily agree with everything I thought I had been told by ENT and surgery staff (who are at a different hospital). He could easily have withheld his disagreement and just parroted what they all said. Had he done that I would feel more comfortable, but if they were wrong in any way I wouldn't know it. So, I'm actually glad he disagreed as in essence he has given me a 2nd opinion. While I don't like having to now determine who is right, who is wrong, what do I do next, I would much rather know about it right now than a year down the road when maybe the cancer has spread and become much more dangerous.

So, I guess the bottom line as of today is yes I have confidence in this RO and I'm going to stick with his recommendations for at least the short term.

I will ask him next visit why he doesn't recommend chemo or biopsy right now and what is he looking for to change that recommendation.

Any other questions you think I should ask, I'm all ears.

thanks guys for caring

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good