Callie - You will feel better if you can just start taking steps towards a second opinion. If you feel that even making a phone call to another cancer center is so painful, then ask someone to make that phone call for you and for your husband! When my son was first diagnosed, I cried so much I could not be coherent on the phone. I had to ask someone to do it for me when I needed to get an earlier appointment for him. About that "25% chance of the cancer not coming back", seems to me that ANY chance at all at removing the cancer is better than NO chance. Whatever happens with the 2nd opinion or 3rd, if need be, you will be glad you did everything possible to fight this horrible disease! Also please get some help for you so that you will be able to function for your husband. You can do it!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)