Social functions will be difficult for a long time for your FIL. While nobody can truly understand what its like unless they themselves have walked out in public after this type of procedure. Its really very very difficult to find joy in daily things when your disfigured. There is only 1 other member of OCF that has undergone similar operations as your FIL and myself and become lets say 'facially challenged'. Im sorry but I dont have any bright ideas to help them be more positive. Getting outside in warmer weather and soaking up a little sunshine helps.

As far as your wedding plans go. In my opinion, I would have to say go on with your plans. You cant put your life on hold because of this. I was in a similar life changing event recently also. My son was going to delay going into the Marines due to my health, he twice delayed his entry with my first and second rounds of OC. This time, I told him to go and make a life for himself. If he waits til I get better then he could be waiting for years. Thats why I say go on with your plans. It will be something your FIL will enjoy and be so proud of. This probably will give him something to look forward to and to strive for to heal. Everybody needs a goal, a purpose in life. This might be exactly what he needs.

Sorry I dont have any other advice to help this situation. Best of luck with your decisions, upcoming marriage, and your FILs recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma