Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#90571 02-23-2009 05:50 PM
Sam K. Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi All,
I'm 31 year old male and I have been smoking for about 13 years and drink a lot. Back in December I had a white spot appear on the inside of my mouth near the back and it ached for about a day and I ended up getting a cold which i quickly recovered from. I thought it was just from the cold but last month I did a routine check of my mouth and it is still there. Went to the doctors office last month in January and did a quick swab test which came out negative and the doctor told me if it doesn't go away in a few more weeks to come schedule a biopsy. Well it's been past few more weeks and I also tried antibiotics and it's still there. Also, I know it's allergy season but I never had allergies this severe before and sometimes I get mild ear aches. Has anyone else had allergies and cancer and could the cancer be causing the extreme allergies?? I have a biopsy scheduled for March 5th but am scared and have quit smoking since I found out.

-Sam

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Sam and welcome to OCF. First congrats on quitting. Second..I'm happy to hear you have a biopsy scheduled. It has been my experience that if something in your mouth doesn't heal within 2 weeks or so it's time to get it biopsied. As far as an allergy/cancer relation, I have not heard of anything like that.

I wish you much luck and please let us know what happens. Always feel free to ask any questions you can think of.

Suzanne

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)
Sam K. Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Suzanne and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

-Sam

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Let us know what the biopsy says.

Good luck and lets hope for the best news.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Sam I was wondering how you are doing with your smoking? I know it can be difficult especially if you have smoked for a long time to break the habits that go with the cigarettes. Are you using any of the aids available like the patch or the gum?

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace
Sam K. Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Patty,

I'm just doing it straight and cold turkey. Yeah it's really hard my physical craving is off the hook but I realize now the way to go is to go cold turkey and get through that first day and after that just keep at it. But if you have a relapse of just one cigarettes it makes it hard. But it's still hard I still get physical cravings.

An update: I just went to my dentist today and he saw the white patch, my patch is a recessed patch and my dentist hasn't seen anything like it but I asked him and he has seen oral cancer before. Says I should just get the biopsy so mine is still scheduled for March 5th. One other thing when I had colds before there have been times I have gotten this but it always went away after the cold. But this time it's been here for 3 months and the last 3 days I've been feeling really light headed. Anxious to get my biopsy.

Sam it does get easier after the first few days and you won't be physically craving the cigarettes. Keep telling yourself that if you ever have just one you will be smoking again. I have never seen anyone have just one. It is like an alcoholic and the drink.
Good luck and let us know how your biopsy goes.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace
Sam K. #90721 02-25-2009 07:57 PM

sam - way to go on quitting now. smoking is like playing russian roulette ... it will get ya, it is just a matter of when ... I quit shortly before my diagnosis and am so glad I did ... and have not had once since. This has now been 8+ months now, and I still have days when a smoke is on my mind a LOT but each day it has gotten easier to say no ... and i tell you what, it feels good to be able to say NO to it and stick to it smile i had tried many times in years gone by to quit, and always ended up taking them back up ... but now - no friggin way! whether it was the smokes or another cause for the cancer, i am not playing games with them to find out what they will do ... and i am saving a bookoo lot of money! i smoked a pack of canadian (import) cigarettes a day ... that was about $8 a pack US funds ... That is $240 bucks mo +/- for me to play with *or pay medical bills with as the case may be *

i hope your biopsy is negative and that your smoking cessation plans go very well for you... don't quit

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

btw - i would suggest quitting the drinking too, as quickly as possible ... many studies show it adds to the risks of oral cancer and can increase the chances of it greatly ... so since you have a lesion, i am sure it is irritating it greatly to drink ... but that is in your court ... smile

i did want to add that symptoms similar to allergies have been noted in some places, as a symptom noticed for oral cancer BUT something as simple as thrush could also cause the lesion - so it is a two way street on this ...

hopefully your tests come back showing nothing abnormal ... then if you keep up the no smoking, you will increase your chances of living cancer free ...

i was shocked to hear 1 out of 2 men and 1 out of 3 women will have cancer in their lifetime ... WOW - i knew it was high but did not realize it was that high but that is what they said on our local news.

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

Hi Sam - welcome to the OCF and good on you for getting the biopsy done.

It's an awful thing to be even contemplating the possibility of this at our age (I'm 30). Best of luck with the biopsy, and definitely let us know how it goes.

Tamara

Diagnised 29th Oct 08 (29 years old): SCC, T2N1 - partial glossectomy (25%); flap construction (twice - first one died); neck dissection 8 nodes removed, 1 node positive; trache - 14 days, partially collapsed lung. No radiation at this time.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics