Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

At least you found something that worked for you and that's most important in our Tx. Coffee Milk, your official State drink? Down here it's Mojitos. lol

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Geri Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

David, Richard speaks excellent Spanish and we have good friends in the Yucatan
that we visit often. We became friends with this family more then 20yrs ago when
Richard went on a scuba diving trip to Cozumel and we have been close ever since.
When we go, we stay with them where the tourists never go, We relax in hammocks
and make tamales out of banana leaves. We really live like the locals and have a great time.
Richard spends many weeks down there speaking only Spanish and traveling to Mexico City
and other areas in Mexico. This is a picture of Richard and Andres. They've had many
adventures together.

[img]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5773/800wx1028previewzz6.jpg[/img]

Geri-CG to husband Richard, 62 yrs old. Former smoker, quit 30yrs ago, light drinker. Dx after tests with BOT T1N1M0. Tx to start by end of Dec. Seven wks IMRT with 2x Cisplatin-2x Erbitux. Peg in 12/08- removed 4/21/09. Looking good so far. Clear Pet &MRI 8/2/09
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

The only class I ever failed was Spanish 1. I guess God made sure I married a Cuban.

Neat picture.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Geri

Great Photo and wonderful story. It will be nice when you and Richard can go visit your friends again.

Patty

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Perhaps Andres wouldn't mind a larger group of friends looking to find a warmer place? Since David has not yet provided real estate listings for me to consider, and since Florida seems to be involved in a global cooling, I'd be happy to learn Spanish! I also like that six-shooters seem to be popular there.

Let me know soon as the temps. here are going sub-zero again....

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Mark,

Spanish is recommended for Florida as well.

All is good...back in the 70's today and for the foreseeable future. Man that was a brutal 4 days!!!

David

My recommendation is Teach them English. Our ancestors learned it after years of German, Polish. Hungarian and ETC:

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Hello young people, middle age people and OTs like myself. (69) I feel like I have been blessed when I read the medical conditions each of you have endured. A little about me. I live in Arkansas. I was informed in Feb of 08 that I had a SCC on my right side, tongue base. Had 35 rad tx and 5 tx of Cisplatin. All 24 teeth extracted as a precaution to offset possible bone involvement. PEG inserted Mar. After one surgery to remove 25 Lymph nodes, throat dilation, I resumed my tube feedings. My "propeller" was broken and no one seemed to know how to fix it. It has remained "broken" until this day. I go to a therapist this week to learn how to "swallow" again. Has anyone experienced this before?
My Dr. in LR found with a cat scan that the cancer had returned in the same place. THis time growing into the tongue, a biopsy confirmed his diagnosis. Surgery set for the following week. Surgery was performed on March 13, 09. The lab report confirmed he had clean margins. The following meeting I was told that the operation was a success but more than that, the area he removed was totally clear of cancer. None anywhere in the mass. He mentioned spontaneous remission. He had only see it one other time in his career so he thought it ws a big deal. I have since found out, it just might be a big deal.
What I came to this forum for was to mention my feeding. My wife makes all of my food for me with a Vita mix and it's capabilities to make into fluid durn near anything. I eat (ingest) every hour for 10 hours. It is not a big deal so I live with it. Perhaps I live because of it. She mixes everthing that she can with it. Asparagus, pear, apples, oranges, bananas, avocados, mangoes, tomatoes, young, fresh spinich, brocolli, protein powder, my different medicines, and probably some things I don't want to know about. Regardless, she is a jewel at keeping my bottles full and my stomach pacified. I have leveled out at 160 lbs. I go between 157 to 163. Have plenty of energy, not tired. I do not go to my Dr. for two months so I will have no news relative to or conflicting with what I have mentioned. To say this hit us out of the blue is nothing you guys and gals haven't experienced. I will keep coming back and learning as much as I can so I won't be surprised again. thanks, Bob

I have found that attitude can make a world of difference.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Bob:
Attitude makes a BIG difference!!!!!

I'm so glad to hear about the clear biopsy. Certainly a reason for you and your wife to celebrate.

It's interesting to hear you mention a Vitamix machine. I consulted a cancer nutritionist, and the first thing she said to me is to buy one. I've procrastinated because they are so expensive, but after hearing your experience, I'm going to get one. I start chemo/radiation the end of April, and I have been worried about getting enough of my "greens.

I'm very happy for you.
Sandy

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users