Posted By: Geri carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-20-2009 03:07 AM
I went on Amazon to order and wasn't sure which product is the best. Vanilla flavored would probably be the best, but should I order lactose free? There are a few choices and we want to get what is recommended by people on the forum. Could someone post an answer? Thanks, Geri
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-20-2009 03:33 AM
I only know of VHC to come in vanilla...it's an 8oz can

the label will say Nestle nutrition carnation instant breakfast lactose free VHC 560 calories....

Again, I've only seen vanilla and I get mine from Amazon..
Posted By: Gary Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-20-2009 05:03 AM
If you are not lactose intolerant, I used the Carnation Instant Breakfast that came in multiflavor packs. For some unexplainable reason I never lost my taste for coffee flavor so I used the vanilla and espresso packs and gave the strawberry ones away. I added a scoop or 2 of Hagen Daz Coffee Ice Cream to pump up the calories. The VHC wasn't around then. It kept me alive. The milk made it go down easier as Boost and Ensure was thick and the taste gagged me.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-20-2009 02:03 PM
The VHC ONLY comes in Lactose Free (Yummy Double Thick) Vanilla unless they have added a new product in the last couple of weeks. I drank that stuff until at least a year post Tx. Post Tx, when I no longer needed to gulp it down, I mixed it with an equal amount of whole milk to cut the thickness. I still have a case of it besides my office refrig. I have tried several times to give it away and now it's outdated.
Posted By: Geri Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-20-2009 02:40 PM
David, I'm glad I caught you. Richard and I are also bike riders and I wanted to ask you how long after finishing treatments were you able to at least ride around the neighborhood? Also, how did you manage with the fluoride trays when the mouth gets so sore? I posted on the "currently in treatment" thread about the bike riding question. Thanks, Geri
Posted By: Ray1971 Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-20-2009 02:56 PM
Geri,

Ask for a scripted fluoride toothpaste. I use my fluoride trays, but I like to use the scripted fluoride toothpaste if my mouth gets sore for some reason. Sometimes my tongue seems swollen and it rubs against the trays. The toothpaste also comes in handy for trips. Easier to use and I don't have to worry about loosing my trays.
Posted By: sobradley Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-20-2009 03:29 PM
When my mouth was really sore during treatment, I didn't use my trays because I had huge ulcers on the side of my tongue. I just brushed my teeth with the fluoride gel. I figured it was better than nothing. Also, I drank the regular vanilla Carnation Instant Breakfasts. When I was using my PEG I used 2calHN and tried drinking the stuff when I stopped using my PEG, and oh geez, that was nasty. I also couldn't stomach the boost and ensure, so I used the regular instant breakfasts (vanilla) from the grocery store for a couple weeks. I stopped using those eventually and started making my own smoothies with protein powder and now I can't stomach the thought of drinking another smoothie and even ice cream reminds me of them sometimes and kind of makes me want to gag!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-20-2009 11:05 PM
I tried using my trays every night during Tx but obviously when I couldn't I didn't so I missed at least a week of nights.

I'll respond to the bike thing at the other post.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-20-2009 11:24 PM
Geri,

I didn't see anything on Currently in TX so I'll try to answer you here.

I was a pretty avid rider pre Tx; 100 plus miles a week at a pretty high avg mph mostly with groups that would drop you in a heart beat so you better keep up. I say that because when I finished Tx I was so weak and had such horrible dry mouth and had been off my bike for months I couldn't even think about the pack ride. I did order a Camelbak to try to solve the dry mouth thing and I guess I got up the courage to go out on my own about 3 1/2 months post. It was December but still warm enough to enjoy a good ride. I did 8 miles and hated it because I had to take my hand off the handle bar to put the water mouth piece in my mouth about every 7 seconds. Then came our cold season and my tax season so I wasn't able to get back on until May of the next year. I still had dry mouth but I found that I didn't need the constant water as long as I didn't try to talk so I was able to ditch the Camelbak. I still rode by myself but by July I tried riding with my group and sure enough they dropped me but I kept them in sight and finished the 30 mile ride. By the end of summer I was not only keeping up but I was pulling a lot and I was actually a much better climber and a faster rider probably since I had lost a few pounds. Probably also had a chip on my shoulder reclaiming my life back from cancer.

It's now Tax season so my bike is lonely again.
Posted By: victor53 Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-23-2009 06:28 AM
Growing up in Rhode Island we have a official state drink
Its Coffee Milk its a syrup that makes milk taste like coffee ice cream i live on it as my coffee taste was the first too return and taste good again. Eggnog saved my life right after radiation i was luckey i had my rads thanksgiving xma holiday season
Posted By: davidcpa Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-23-2009 01:20 PM
At least you found something that worked for you and that's most important in our Tx. Coffee Milk, your official State drink? Down here it's Mojitos. lol

Posted By: Geri Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-23-2009 05:28 PM
David, Richard speaks excellent Spanish and we have good friends in the Yucatan
that we visit often. We became friends with this family more then 20yrs ago when
Richard went on a scuba diving trip to Cozumel and we have been close ever since.
When we go, we stay with them where the tourists never go, We relax in hammocks
and make tamales out of banana leaves. We really live like the locals and have a great time.
Richard spends many weeks down there speaking only Spanish and traveling to Mexico City
and other areas in Mexico. This is a picture of Richard and Andres. They've had many
adventures together.

[img]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/5773/800wx1028previewzz6.jpg[/img]
Posted By: davidcpa Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-23-2009 10:30 PM
The only class I ever failed was Spanish 1. I guess God made sure I married a Cuban.

Neat picture.
Posted By: Good1 Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-23-2009 10:36 PM
Geri

Great Photo and wonderful story. It will be nice when you and Richard can go visit your friends again.

Patty
Posted By: Mark Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-24-2009 02:32 AM
Perhaps Andres wouldn't mind a larger group of friends looking to find a warmer place? Since David has not yet provided real estate listings for me to consider, and since Florida seems to be involved in a global cooling, I'd be happy to learn Spanish! I also like that six-shooters seem to be popular there.

Let me know soon as the temps. here are going sub-zero again....
Posted By: davidcpa Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 01-24-2009 09:01 PM
Mark,

Spanish is recommended for Florida as well.

All is good...back in the 70's today and for the foreseeable future. Man that was a brutal 4 days!!!
Posted By: EzJim Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 02-14-2009 01:30 AM
My recommendation is Teach them English. Our ancestors learned it after years of German, Polish. Hungarian and ETC:
Posted By: gnoled Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 03-30-2009 12:49 AM
Hello young people, middle age people and OTs like myself. (69) I feel like I have been blessed when I read the medical conditions each of you have endured. A little about me. I live in Arkansas. I was informed in Feb of 08 that I had a SCC on my right side, tongue base. Had 35 rad tx and 5 tx of Cisplatin. All 24 teeth extracted as a precaution to offset possible bone involvement. PEG inserted Mar. After one surgery to remove 25 Lymph nodes, throat dilation, I resumed my tube feedings. My "propeller" was broken and no one seemed to know how to fix it. It has remained "broken" until this day. I go to a therapist this week to learn how to "swallow" again. Has anyone experienced this before?
My Dr. in LR found with a cat scan that the cancer had returned in the same place. THis time growing into the tongue, a biopsy confirmed his diagnosis. Surgery set for the following week. Surgery was performed on March 13, 09. The lab report confirmed he had clean margins. The following meeting I was told that the operation was a success but more than that, the area he removed was totally clear of cancer. None anywhere in the mass. He mentioned spontaneous remission. He had only see it one other time in his career so he thought it ws a big deal. I have since found out, it just might be a big deal.
What I came to this forum for was to mention my feeding. My wife makes all of my food for me with a Vita mix and it's capabilities to make into fluid durn near anything. I eat (ingest) every hour for 10 hours. It is not a big deal so I live with it. Perhaps I live because of it. She mixes everthing that she can with it. Asparagus, pear, apples, oranges, bananas, avocados, mangoes, tomatoes, young, fresh spinich, brocolli, protein powder, my different medicines, and probably some things I don't want to know about. Regardless, she is a jewel at keeping my bottles full and my stomach pacified. I have leveled out at 160 lbs. I go between 157 to 163. Have plenty of energy, not tired. I do not go to my Dr. for two months so I will have no news relative to or conflicting with what I have mentioned. To say this hit us out of the blue is nothing you guys and gals haven't experienced. I will keep coming back and learning as much as I can so I won't be surprised again. thanks, Bob
Posted By: SandySt. Re: carnation breakfast drink VHC - 03-30-2009 12:59 AM
Bob:
Attitude makes a BIG difference!!!!!

I'm so glad to hear about the clear biopsy. Certainly a reason for you and your wife to celebrate.

It's interesting to hear you mention a Vitamix machine. I consulted a cancer nutritionist, and the first thing she said to me is to buy one. I've procrastinated because they are so expensive, but after hearing your experience, I'm going to get one. I start chemo/radiation the end of April, and I have been worried about getting enough of my "greens.

I'm very happy for you.
Sandy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum