Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

i know one always wants to know the whys and what fors when something goes wrong, esp with our health

but i am curious ....

not thinking anyone will have the answer but if you have thoughts opinions insight or whathaveya post away smile

my cancer tumor was found in the sinuses. i read this is rare.

then i was watching a show that links fungus to cancers ... and they spoke of the fungus spores in our environments...

in our house we had our water heater leak and it damaged a wall which grew some mold on it a couple years back. i had it checked by an inspector and he said it was not a harmful type of mold and it would not get worse than it was, it was just from drywall getting wet.... to wash it with bleach and not worry ...

because it was in a nonobvious location (dont see it unless you look for it - it is in the closet with the hot water heater and just a small area of the one wall) we left it and have never replaced the drywall there ....

now i am wondering if the spores from this being breathed in for a couple of years caused this problem ...

just in case, i am asking hubby to replace the drywall there this weekend because IF it could be what caused my problems then it could be affecting the rest of my family silently too and i am not taking that chance.

as i said, i have no clue if this could even remotely be related to my health issues but not taking a chance with anyone elses health now that i have heard it could do it...

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Wash it down with clorox until he gets to fixing it.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I have a friend here who had a VERY serious and traumatic experience with a fulminating fungus in her sinuses, which threatened her eye. She said it was like (sorry to be graphic) peanut butter.....they removed all they could....it came back....she went, I think, to Philadelphia, and had radical surgery, going through her nasal passages. The bridge of her nose was eroded by this "non-malignant fungus" (nothing benign about it!!) It was a terrifying experience, since, while it wasn't a metastatic sort of growth, it was one that spread in situ quite quickly, threatening her eyesight. She did lose sight at one point, right before or after the surgery, and they gave her massive steroids and the problem resolved.....

so...it's a definite issue, but whether or not our household molds can cause such a thing...I doubt it. It's two different things, I would think. I don't know what the household molds do, ...breathing problems, asthma exacerbation...dunno what else...certainly not a healthy environment, but I don't believe that they are considered to be carcinogenic.....Somebody correct me if I am speaking too broadly here.

Last edited by August; 11-21-2008 07:13 PM.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Take a spray bottle and put 2 ozs of bleach in it and fill it with water. LABEL IT AS TOXIC. Shake it and spray it on the molded areas as needed.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

spray it with bleach and keep that area moisture free....i saw a show where this guy became severely ill from some rare bread mold...the poor guy lost most of his face...his eyes and nose were gone...i felt so bad for him..it was terrible. i don't think mold would fall into the carcinogen category...mold can cause a lot of issues but i highly doubt that it can cause cancer.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better

My house has a woods behind it and A stream running thru it too. Most homes here get the fungus on the roofing and on the siding. Our bricks never have fungus' I just buy the ready mixed bleach , spry, wait a few minutes then hose it off. It comes spotless everytime. Now eberyone in the area washed theirs this way to . It seems it takes we older ones that like to solve problems and do it the easy way always come up with an answer.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
OP Offline

he replaced the sheetrock yesterday, smile Yahoo smile Didn't bother me before, but once I heard it could possibly cause a health issue I just wanted it gone. Seems it had penetrated the sheetrock along the floorline where the cement meets the sheetrock ... so now it is all gone.. no more worries wink

Rita - Age 44

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Good sheetrock hanging practice is to not allow the sheetrock touch the floor for exactly the problem you had.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.

Yep, cover the space with wood trim.

OP Offline

yep that is what he is doing do we don't have a repeat problem ... this is in the family room area which seems like it is an addition to the original house, so most likely whomever did it was not well versed in sheetrocking...

Rita - Age 44

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics