Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pandora99 #83228 10-30-2008 02:11 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Amy:

Words cant begin to express the good your mother shared thru OCF. She was a devoted and loyal memeber helping others even when she had her own problems. Minnie was one of the strongest women I have ever met. She helped me so much thru my first battle and we both had a recurrance about the same time this past spring. Minnie has been an inspiration to so many and we are all better people for being lucky enough to have known her. She was a very kind, generous, caring person who could never do enough for others and her family. She was a wonderful mother and passed on her best qualities to you and your sisters. In your sorrow, try to find comfort in your memories and know your mother is finally at peace without anymore pain.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Susan Lauria #83229 10-30-2008 02:17 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Dear Minnie's family

Sincere condolences to you all.

I am quite simply devastated by this news. Minnie was the first person to welcome me to this board a few weeks after I was diagnosed. She was such a support to me as we travelled our paths. Sent me nutritious recipes for a dry mouth and shared some of her lifestyle with me. She was obviously a woman of great compassion.

I kept these words which Minnie wrote on this board because they are so wise and relevant to those who live with cancer:

[quote]
"...If anything, I want to inspire people on here, I want to help people feel power and help people know that there ARE things to be done to save our lives that we NEVER have to just say "well, this is it" and accept dying as our only choice. If I have 10 days or 10 years left is unknown. What I DO know is that I have the power to live them and respond to them in MY way. All that control is mine and I love that. It truly is a matter of living in the moment, a long lesson for me but such a valuable one. When I start to feel stressed or anxious, I go outside and take a deep, long breath of air. Then I look around for a few minutes and realize that beyond that exact moment, I have no control.....but that I DO have control of right then. So I enjoy it, walk back in the house, and resume my daily duties...."[/quote]

Rest in peace Minnie, you are greatly loved.
Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
aussieh #83236 10-30-2008 04:17 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

i joined after minnie had the recurrence, so did not have the opportunity or honor to know her, but reading thru the posts, I can see why she was so well loved by all. What a woman of courage, strength and compassion which helped so many.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family through this time. I lost my mom last year and I know the pain but now the tears are smiles thinking of her and all she meant to us.

God bless you as you continue in life and reap the rewards of being raised by such an amazing woman.

Last edited by azcallin; 10-30-2008 04:18 PM.

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."

azcallin #83238 10-30-2008 07:16 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

This board has been a place that I turn to in the dark of night to find some words of wisdom, although I like many here have not had the opporunity to know your mother, rest assured that her words have helped many more people than even she knew and will continue to help others through the dark times.

Thoughts and prayers for you, your Mom and your family.

Tom-CG to wife, Pam 46@dx
Stage IV Tongue Cancer T2N2C
Dx 6/08, Surgery 7/08, 3 nodes positive
9/08 33IMRT/7Carbo/Taxol
4/09 node biopsy positive, mets to lungs/stomach
5/09 Cisplatin or Cis/Alimta study
6/09 Cis/Taxotere
9/09 Taxotere
1/10 Xeloda
3/10 Cetuximab weekly
6/29/10 lost battle
TomT #83246 10-31-2008 04:02 AM

Dear Amy and Family,

Your loss is our loss. My deepest sympathy to everyone on Minnie's passing.

I remember how excited I was just about a year ago that your mom and I were making plans to meet when she and your dad were going to go to NYC during the Christmas holidays. I just read through all of our emails and came across the folllowing:

"I'll keep you posted about Christmas time. Going to New York at this time of year has always been a dream of mine. We almost came last year, I even bought tickets to the Broadway show Hairspray but we ended up not being able to come. Sold my tickets to the show on Ebay if you can believe it! Thank goodness my daughters are up on that type of stuff, lol, sure re-couped me some of my money." But we are coming for sure this year, my husband is determined.

Sadly, this never happened and we never met face to face. Despite this fact, I feel that your mom and I had a special bond. Her advice and comforting words to those in need were an inspiration to all. I feel that I am a better person for having known her.

Minnie will be deeply missed.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
wilckdds #83247 10-31-2008 05:01 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I am so sorry to hear this. Minnie's post were a source of inspration and upport for me. Rest in peace.

Left tonsil SCC, HPV+. T2N0M0. Tonsillectomy 3-07, bilateral radiation, cisplatin 3x, Tx completed 6-06. Clear PET 4-01-2008.
Thyroidectomy 5-9-08, resulting in permanent surgically-induced hypoparathyroidism and adrenal problems. Bummer.
girlcat36 #83248 10-31-2008 05:49 AM

Dear Minnie's family,

My heartfelt sympathy and prayers go out to you this morning. When I read your Mom's obituary in the local paper this morning, my heart broke. She was such a courageous woman of faith, determination and compassion for others. I will never forget the day I met Minnie, as she lovingly came over to talk to my Mom about her recent cancer diagnosis and what she could expect from her impending treatments. I can't express to you how wonderful it was for us to sit down and talk with someone who had been through that difficult journey ahead of us. Your mom was so willing to be transparent, explaining the details of radiation and their terrible side effects with such gentleness and compassion. We also shared that day a bond that can never be broken: our deep faith in the Lord. I know the Lord sent your Mom to us through this OCF board, and she was such an inspiration and comfort to us at a very scary time. She gave me her phone number and encouraged us to call anytime with questions, concerns, or if we just needed to talk. Your Mom showed my Mom (and our family) the Christ-like love she so deeply believed in. Though I am deeply saddened by the loss of such a wonderful lady, I rejoice in the knowledge that she and my Mom are together in Heaven, rejoicing with their Savior, and finally CANCER FREE!!

My mom lost her battle with cancer in June of 2006, and though it is still sometimes hard to realize that she is not here with us, I can smile at the many memories and the wonderful legacy she has left for us to cherish. Your Mom has truly left you a legacy- She touched SO many lives with her strength, determination, compassion, and LOVE. She will never be forgotten, and you will ALWAYS carry her spirit with you through the wonderful person she raised you (and her entire family) to be!

My thoughts and prayers are with you today and in the days ahead. Thank you for sharing your precious Mom with so many! She was deeply loved, and her legacy will live on through her family, friends, and the OCF.

In His love (and with many tears),
Laura

Marie's daughter #83251 10-31-2008 06:43 AM

The obituary to which Laura (Marie's daughter) is referring is here.

Amy, I always looked for your mom's posts. She was generous with her knowledge and experience -- her words were comforting to newcomers, yet realistic about the road ahead. Like everyone else here, I am mourning her loss and celebrating her spirit.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Leslie B #83260 10-31-2008 10:47 AM

I just got the news Minnie died (thank you, Sophie, for the pm) and I'm heartbroken. I will come back here and post when I've had a little time to process the news. Amy, my thoughts and prayers are with you and the rest of your family in your time of loss.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Susan Lauria #83262 10-31-2008 11:12 AM

This was an email (April 2007) that I got from Minnie after I sent her photos from the OCF Las Vegas "reunion". It just goes to show what a huge heart Minnie had for all of us and how involved she was in helping others:

Beautiful pictures Gary...........thank you very much for sending them. The ones of Danny put me in tears. I did have the absolute HONOR of meeting him and spending some great time with him and Marcee. My kids loved him, hung on him the whole two days. My doctors came to my walk and so did a bunch of professors and students from the local Dental College and they fell in love with him to. He had such a positive effect on others.

It is sad that so many have passed. When I looked at Rosies picture all I could think is that her daughter died at the age MY oldest daughter is right now. I can only imagine how that must have altered her life and how she looks at life.

And here we are Gary, still alive, healthy as horses, one of the lucky ones..............blah, blah, blah!! Do you ever feel that way, lol. I get sick of people telling me how lucky I am, but it only lasts for a couple seconds!

Take care and thanks for the pictures.
Minnie

"What is your life? It is a mist that appears for a little while then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

This is the time to love one another, assess your own life and appreciate what you have been gifted with. Honor your spouse and your family (as Minnie so proudly did). Minnies passing is a hard lesson for all of us to make everything we can out of each day (and in her memory).

Rest in peace Minnie and pray for us survivors to carry on the work that you started. You WILL be missed.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics