Same thing for me...While waiting for the biopsy results, I decided no matter the outcome I never wanted to be in the position to wait on those kind of results again. I threw out my cigarettes and that was that. It was far from easy but fear is a powerful motivator. A month later, after my surgery was complete, my doc at MDACC made me visit their smoking cessation program even though I was certain I'd never smoke. Said his experience was the success rates were better with support...that fear wears off (really? every little bump, pang or new sensation keeps it going in me, LOL). They offered many options to help, from counseling with a psychiatrist to Zyban to experimental medications. All at no cost. I'd check my CCC or the American Cancer Society and see what's available for support near you. I opted to stick with the cold turkey approach but knowing their were other options helped me be successful.

Cancer of Tongue, SCC early Stage 1, Dx 3/13/07, partial glossectomy 4/14/07 found no residual carcinoma and a granular cell tumor with pseudo epitheliomatous hyperplasia.