Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#53982 09-19-2003 08:17 AM
Gary Offline OP
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Today it has been exactly six months since my last radiation treatment. I am (finally) doing great. I still have some very minor issues, like dry mouth (mainly in the evening), occasional hoarseness (probably inter-related) and a little tenderness when trying to reach all areas of my mouth with my tongue (probably from scar tissue).

On a positive note, my weight is up 21 lbs. I don't snore anymore (the radiation melted my uvela) and I never have to shave my neck ever again. Taste buds are completely back to normal, throat/tongue sores/blisters all healed. I have very little fatigue (although I do pace myself and allow rest periods). I am back to DJ work and playing bass in several bands, spending much time in the studio coming back up to speed (6 months ago I really didn't think I would ever play - let alone sing - again) I am even singing some lead and backup vocals (albeit in a lower key -my voice is 1/2 octave deeper than before)! I did purchase a nifty little water bottle holder for my mic stand. Two days ago my wife and I celebrated our 3rd wedding anniversary. When I was first Dx'd a rather gruff ENT basically told me to get my "...affairs in order" and other doom and gloom predictions about the possible outcome and my rapidly approaching impending death. I didn't know whether I would even HAVE a third wedding anniversary!

On the down side, I still have the post Tx scan and exam jitters waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop. I still see 3 doctors (oncologist, radiation oncologist and head and neck surgeon) every 2-3 months. I continue to pray that I had a "complete response" to treatment, to maintain a positive attitude that I have been healed and to not sow the seeds of doubt for my complete healing.

Financially, it has been much more difficult post Tx. The pipeline went dry during the period (about 5 months) that I couldn't speak very well or was too sick (I have a regulatory affairs consulting business for radiological medical devices that is my main source of income) and the SSDI barely covers the mortgage payment, let alone the almost grand a month for medical insurance, or other bills - bankruptcy is beginning to look like a necessary option. The economic downturn didn't help either. It seems everyone is eager to help in the beginning -bringing food (ironically when you can't eat), financial help when you're still ok. But after many months pass you're forgotten, abandoned. There doesn't seem to be many resources for post Tx people out there other than the taxes the IRS won't bill me for the money I didn't earn. Being self employed, I don't have long (or short) term disability insurance.

These are also minor things -at least I am still breathing and enjoying each sunrise and sunset.

I give the credit to God, prayer, my fine doctors, advice nurses and technicians, Katen Moore and Libby Schmais who wrote the book "Living Well with Cancer" that was my guidebook throughout this, my faith and the many who supported me through prayer, service (like rides) and financial supporters (like my church and anonymous donors, who paid the first three months of my medical insurance and many other bills) and last, but not least, my loving, unselfish, caregiving wife. I also want to thank Brian for his many encouraging words and many other new friends I have met through the site for their encouragement and cheerleading.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#53983 09-19-2003 10:10 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

That was a very cool post Gary and I think you're old enough (time frame) to know which "cool" I mean. laugh

Thanks and congratulations on 3 years, and on 6 months!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#53984 09-19-2003 10:28 AM

Congradulations Gary,

I am very happy for you and your wife. You have helped me alot on the start of my journey and I will always remember it. You are one "COOL" guy.

I had my last radiation work up today and start IMRT on Monday. They changed it to 6 full weeks. I am hoping for the best. I plan on surviving this challange.

I continue to offer you my support and wish nothing but the best for you. Take care, Dan Bogan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics