Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#33232 03-14-2004 08:45 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hello Everyone,

My mom had her second series of surgery last month and she had the cancer removed from the other side of her mouth (gums) and now we find out it spread to her bone. The doctor and my mother both dont want to undergo a third surgery and the doctor ahs recommended six weeks of radiation. I hope it works to kill all the cancer cells. Does anyone have experience with this?

Also, I have a dear friend who is married to a guy (only 30 years old) who chews tabacco every day and he has white spots on his gums and he told his mother in law that she had nothing to worry about because his dentist said it was nothing. I have read posts in here before that state that white spots on the gums could be cancer. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Also, I wanted to thank everyone in here for the kind posts. It has really helped me immensely and i have forwarded your advice to my mother who has appreciated your help. I have another topic started where I have more detail about my mother's cancer.

Thanks again everyone and God Bless
Stephany

Stephany.Daughter of mother who passed away 3/26/05 from Recurrent Gum Squamous Cell Carcinoma. She had 3 surgeries, and 6 weeks radiation, and then passed due to infection. I miss her very much. She was 65 years young when she passed. Love you Mom!
#33233 03-15-2004 12:59 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Stephany,
Anybody who chews or uses tobacco everyday is a fool. My dentist could easily see my 6x3cm tonsil tumor (which was practically choking me to death) and didn't know what it was, so you can draw your own conclusions about the Dx ability of dentists. Even oral surgeons and MD's often miss it. Diagnosis of oral cancer is a specialty. Tell your friend to do a search of all the terrified tobacco chewers and dippers here and show it to her husband. Some of our earlist members have been tobacco chewers (and many of them in their 30's). Then get him to a competent ENT or Head and Neck surgeon for a biopsy. If he's not willing to do this then at least maybe he can fill out his advanced directives and get a living trust.

About your Mom, many of us here has been cured with radiation and/or chemo only. It is no walk in the park. Many recommend radiation after surgery as a precautionary measure anyway.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#33234 03-15-2004 04:11 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Gary,

Thanks for the reply. That was helpful information. Im running to my office. But I wanted to respond. I will reply more later tonight.

Thanks again Gary :-)
God Bless You
Stephany

Stephany.Daughter of mother who passed away 3/26/05 from Recurrent Gum Squamous Cell Carcinoma. She had 3 surgeries, and 6 weeks radiation, and then passed due to infection. I miss her very much. She was 65 years young when she passed. Love you Mom!
#33235 03-15-2004 05:23 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Dippers often get white patches where they hold the wad of chew. This one of the first steps to cancer, but usually is not cancer yet, but a precancerous condition known as leukoplakia. While I still hold out hope for dentists to eventually become our first line of defense against this disease by opportunistic screening of everyone that comes into their offices, they are not as a group up to speed yet. OCF is in the process of changing that but it will be years end before we get an educational movie co-produced with various other oral cancer and dental entities into the hands of 130,000 dentists. In the meantime tell your dipping friend to get a new dentist. This one doesn't have a clue.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#33236 03-15-2004 08:25 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hello Brian,

God Bless you So much for this web site! Thanks. Does precancer mean it will turn to cancer? Should I pass this along to her? I would hate to needlessly worry her. Please forgive my ignorance but this is all somewhat new to me..A year now since my mother's oral gum cancer was first diagnosed and I have learned so much! Mostly from this web site...Thanks
Stephany

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23