Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

The great news.....I'm 4.5 years post surgery and no sign of return cancer. Half of my tongue was replaced with wrist flap. My speech is okay, but i have a job where i need to talk a lot. People notice the discoloration in my tongue (1/2 of my tongue looks white). It's distracting. Do others have a similar experience? Any advice (other than just get over it....)? THANK YOU

i was diagonosed with stage 2 SCC cancer August 2009 (at 39). 9/15/2009 I had free flap (wrist) tongue reconstruction and right side neck dissection 30+ nodes all neg. I had a Trach & ng tube - 14 days in the hospital. no risk factors. non smoker. HPV neg.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Jennifer!

Congratulations on being so far out and doing so well! As a six year survivor I still have issues after my disfigurement, although it has gotten better with time, it still is a distraction for me.

The more people have gotten to know my story, the less they see the paralyzed side of my face and just see me, but it takes a bit. It's an emotional journey to be sure, and to be frank, "F" people who will tell you to just get over it.

Thanks for sharing, glad you found these forums, sorry you had to wink

E

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
OP Offline

Thanks for your candid reply. I agree...."getting over it" is easier said than done. I am tired of people telling me that my scars don't look so bad......I always think 'yep, because they are on my neck and not yours....'. Most days I am positive and happy to be a survivor. Congrats on 6 years

i was diagonosed with stage 2 SCC cancer August 2009 (at 39). 9/15/2009 I had free flap (wrist) tongue reconstruction and right side neck dissection 30+ nodes all neg. I had a Trach & ng tube - 14 days in the hospital. no risk factors. non smoker. HPV neg.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23