The great news.....I'm 4.5 years post surgery and no sign of return cancer. Half of my tongue was replaced with wrist flap. My speech is okay, but i have a job where i need to talk a lot. People notice the discoloration in my tongue (1/2 of my tongue looks white). It's distracting. Do others have a similar experience? Any advice (other than just get over it....)? THANK YOU
Hi Jennifer!

Congratulations on being so far out and doing so well! As a six year survivor I still have issues after my disfigurement, although it has gotten better with time, it still is a distraction for me.

The more people have gotten to know my story, the less they see the paralyzed side of my face and just see me, but it takes a bit. It's an emotional journey to be sure, and to be frank, "F" people who will tell you to just get over it.

Thanks for sharing, glad you found these forums, sorry you had to wink

E
Thanks for your candid reply. I agree...."getting over it" is easier said than done. I am tired of people telling me that my scars don't look so bad......I always think 'yep, because they are on my neck and not yours....'. Most days I am positive and happy to be a survivor. Congrats on 6 years
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum