Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
#153552 08-23-2012 05:54 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Well I certainly hope that the old saying: Third time is the Charm holds true for me. My stubborn cancer is back after the IMRT & CyberKnife one more time.
The pathology report from my biopsy is in
[quote] left lateral wall/ tonsil fossa -fragments of In-situ and
invasive, moderately differentiated SCC. several levels were examined P16 is strongly positive [/quote]
On the positive side, Dr Google says:
[quote]Thus HPV positive tumours are characterized by high expression of p16.... Moreover, since transcription of the E7 oncogene is required for p16.. upregulation, it has been suggested that carcinomas overexpressing p16.. represent those tumours in which HPV has been involved in the carcinogenic process [31]. [/quote]
I am getting a MRI at 7:30 am this Friday and see my ENT this Tuesday. What will be done depends on what the MRI shows.
I'm still in basic shock/denial so doing okay. My wife however is really crushed. She took verbatim notes all during my TX and the last time around, and each of the doctors used the word "catastrophic" to describe what a third occurence would be. She's afraid it was an euphemism for terminal. It did not comfort her that my ENT is already contacting the CCC to see if they want to try a third round of radiation after surgery.

Boy, this forum is getting pretty depressing. Christine and I used to laugh about how both of used to refrain from looking at this forum for fear of "jinxing" ourselves back before we joined the club.

Any suggestions from you caregivers out there on what I can do to help ease my wife's pain& worry?. I'm being positive and stressing that I'm okay with losing the rest of my tongue, speech whatever but that's not working too well.

Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 08-23-2012 06:16 AM. Reason: add P16 expo

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

NNNOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Charm I am sooooo sorry!!!!!! I know what you are going thru. I was in complete shock about my 3rd round of OC. I had been feeling really great and couldnt believe I was sick again.

I know you can get thru this. If I can do it, so can you. Im such a wimp compared to how tough you are. You are so lucky to have Bev who pushed you to get your butt to the doctor. Please keep us posted.

Good luck buddy!!!!

(((HUGS)))

Last edited by ChristineB; 08-23-2012 06:26 AM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Now after my initial shock, I am making another post with some helpful advice.

You both need to think on the positive side. I know, I always say that but it really is helpful. Getting a diagnosis of oral cancer for a 3rd time is NOT automatically a death sentence (which is what I had always believed). You will get thru this!!!! I was a Stage IV my third round and I am very fortunate to still be here. You both are smarter this time around. You know the medical jargon and all about cancer centers. You already have a great team of doctors lined up and know where to go for a second opinion. This round could be easier or harder depending upon what the treatment plan will be. Surgery is something that isnt always as bad as rads.

Last edited by ChristineB; 08-23-2012 06:33 AM.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

:(((((((( this bites.. And coming here is scary as hell! But we all have individual reasons for doing it - mostly it's to give back and help. I'm sorry it's back. you're living my nightmare, and everyone else out there who's had H&N ca. It's bizarre and terrifying who it effects and who it doesn't, who gets a recurrence or who doesn't, there's no rhyme or reason to it. The radiation dr. Looked at me and said if you hit three years free then it's highly unlikely it will come back - five years it's almost unheard of... I wanted to tell him BS I know people who've had that happen. Anyway there is a woman on my facebook page (there are three H&N cancer pages I belong to) she's had 5 recurrences and radiation each time. You can and will get through this, and as with misskate you know a full and rich life after a total glossectomy is very possible. we stand here with you as a support, and friend as you have for us. Tell your wife we're here for her too. Hugs to you both. frown

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Ohhhhh Charm and Bev - I have been thinking sooo much of the two of you!!! You are both strong and fighters and you can beat this! I've made up my mind to just concentrate on your quote about the positive side and I hope that you do too. Just thinking the good thoughts brings HOPE which is something you deserve BIG time! Keep us updated.

Bev - I'm sure all the caregivers here are with you in spirit and heart. I'm so glad Charm has you. Give him lots of hugs for us. You are one very special lady!!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Brother,

It is not very often that I am at a loss for words but I've been pretty much in shock since learning about your recurrence. Shock isn't a bad thing however, it often allows us to disconnect from emotions to take decisive action and deal with situations at hand that those emotions would complicate.

As I consider you a mentor, I doubt I'd have any words of wisdom to help...so I'll share a passage I think you'll appreciate. Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.

"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under the heavens:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

ignore the second part of 3:6, there's never a time for that.

Peace and Love

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 08-23-2012 07:44 AM. Reason: always spelling

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Charm - I am so sorry to hear your news. You asked "Any suggestions from you caregivers out there on what I can do to help ease my wife's pain& worry?"
I find that it's also impossible to NOT think about things ... but that it is possible to replace what one is thinking about. A project that you could work on together might be useful (besides your next treatment, which, while a project you will be doing together, it not likely to be fun). If you are doing something together that makes you both happy doesn't make the shadows go away - but they remind you that the sun is still there.
There is a song that refers to the happy, carefree days of youth. Youth is long-gone, carefree along with it - but a quiet happiness and peace is possible. I find poetry to be helpful in coming thru the long tunnel.
My very best wishes to you both.
Maria

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.

Dear Charm,

I am sick to my stomach reading this. I wish I had some great words of wisdom to comfort you and Bev. I'm not sure anybody can be prepared for the news you both have just received and I am so very sorry that you are facing a 3rd round with the beast. I think Christine's posts are most helpful because she's been where you are now.

I have high anxiety at baseline, so I have to make sure that I am good at staying on time with my meds (small dose of clonazepam, 3x per day). Already having in my system this time around has helped a lot, IMO. At least I wasn't having my total body tremble/shake like I was having some sort of seizure. Also, maybe I was more calm because deep down, I expected mine to happen. I know that's not positive thinking, but it was my intuition.

Now, I don't know Bev at all, but maybe she would benefit from seeking counseling herself. My cancer center has social workers and oncology counselors who are available to patients and their family at no extra cost.

As for you, my friend, I hope for the best for you to put this beast to bed for good.

(((Hugs)))
Kerri

37 y/o fem at Dx (23 wks preg @ dx on 3/16/11)
SCC L oral tongue (no risk factors)
L partial gloss/MND 3/28/11 @ 25 wks preg
T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Tonsillectomy on 8/6/12 +SCC L tonsil T2-3N1M0 (HPV-)
Treated with 35 rads/7 carbo & taxol (Rx ended 10/31/12), but many hospitalizations d/t complications from rx.
Various scans since rx ended are NED!
Part of genetic study for rare cancers @ MGH.
44 years old now...I wasn't sure I would make it! Hoping for 40 more!
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Charm,

I'm shocked and sorry to hear this news.

I was a caregiver for 18 months for my husband. I'm sitting here thinking what advice I can give to your wife. The only thing that comes to mind is after the shock stay calm, do what you have to do to get through this dreadful disease. We were upset every time it came back we both did what we had to do to help each other. We were each others ROCK.

I wish the forum was here when my husband was sick it would have been a great help. She might want to think about coming to the forum I'm sure it will help her. She'll find plenty of support here.

I wish you both the best you'll beat this again.

Take care,
Connie

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

Charm: There's absolutely nothing I can say that hasn't already been said by our wonder Forum family. I always looked up to you and your posts with wonderful advice for anyone seeking it, including me, and that hasn't changed. Others, including me, will seek advice from you now more than ever, because we never know when the Beast will happen to us. I just want you and Bev to know you will be in my prayers, every night, for success in beating this again. Others have, as you know, and so can you.
Hugs from julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
KP5 Offline

Dear Charm,
I am sitting here holding in this gut wrenching scream because I don't want to scare our kids. I'm so sorry.
I live in daily worry that this will happen to us, only it would only be round 2. I try to think of how I would handle things and I think my biggest fear is what it would do to Kevin. With that being said, maybe Bev just needs to know where you are with this. I fear that Kevin would give up. I wonder if I should let him give up. I think about the fact that it is his body and he has to go through it and will he? I don't know. Just maybe some real frank talk with Bev. Lots of hugs and quality time snuggling. Course, touch is my gift of love and NOT Kevin's, so if the 2 of you are that way too, that may not work!
You are right about this site. It is a double edged sword for sure.
Blessings Charm. You are loved,
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I'm so sorry to hear about your recurrence frown It's not fair that anyone has to face this diagnosis even once, nevermind twice or three times! I feel so much for you and for your wife. It is so scary when things are out of your control. All I can offer for advice is to hold on to hope. Without hope you have nothing. Hang on to eachother, set a game plan for you to both focus on together, and take it one day at a time.

Thinking of you and your wife and sending healing positive thoughts your way.

Amy CG to mom Janet - diag w/ early SCC 8/11-surg w/ rad neck dissect & graft from arm/thigh 9/11-evid in nodes tx 6 wks rads (5/wk) w/cistplatin (1/wk for 6 wks) began 11/11-wk or 2 break 12/11 due to severe side effects-done 1/12- 3/23/12 mets to liver lung bone-hospice 4/7/12-lost fight 4/22/12
OP Offline

Everyone
Thanks for the support and good ideas. Bev & I did have long talks about this trying to see if this third time around could be smoother than the other two. It's going to be a darker journey than before, but I'm confident we will emerge into the light again. I appreciate your comments. The problem of course is that if there was a magic answer to my question, you gals would undoubtedly have already shared it plus, you would have already been on Oprah and giving private sessions to Michael Douglas' and Roger Ebert' wives.
I do notice that we don't have many patient / caregiver couples on the forum, it's almost always one or the other.
In our case, Bev prefers human not computer contact and has never been a big fan of cyberspace, preferring to make her fabric art or chat with customers at the cooperative gallery at the Torpedo Factory rather than stare into pixels.
Rest assured that I never give up and never give in. Not fighting to win is an alien concept to me.
I'm staying positive, and I'm in great company in this forum. While the recurrence club has a nasty initiation rite, it's members are inspirational.
(I teased Kerri in a PM about being competitive and not letting her have all the bad news in this forum and she laughed - she has spirit)
Only you understand what Bev and I are going through, so your posts mean quite a lot
Keep the Faith
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 08-23-2012 05:20 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

Charm,

I�m just shocked and angry that you have to face this beast once again. As a member of the recurrence club I know how hard it was to face it a 2nd time, let alone a 3rd time. You are steps ahead of many since you�re already an OCF member and have our support to help you and Bev get through this once again. As someone else said, knowledge is power, and as you well know OCF is the best place to get that knowledge.

Best wishes to you both.

((((HUGS))))

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)

Charm - It's so encouraging to hear that you are staying positive and keeping in touch with us here. There is every reason to hope that this next journey could go even better than expected for you and Bev. There have been so many positive thoughts and suggestions given and that's what I'm hanging on to for you. Bev has already been such a tremendous care giver, and knowing that she has the human contact you mentioned is really a good thing. It will help ease the worrisome moments that may come and be a reprieve from the worry and "what ifs". Sending prayers, positive vibes and imagery, crossing everything that can be crossed for everything to go the best way possible!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Charm,
So sorry about this. I wish it had not happened. I admire your considerable strength, both physical and mental. So glad to read your statement about not giving up the fight. Seeing yourself as a basically healthy person despite outward appearances is an important factor in winning it.
Anne

SCC tongue 9/2010, excised w/clear margins:8 X 4 mm, 1 mm deep
Neck Met, 10/2010, 1 cm lymph node; 12/21/'10: Neck Diss 30 nodes, 29 clear, micro ECE node, part tongue gloss, no residual scc
IMRT & 6 cisplatin 1/20/11-2/28/11 at MDA
GIST tumor sarcoma, removed 9/2011, no chemo needed
Clear on both counts as of Fall, 2021
"OCF across the pond"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hey Charm
I wish I never opened this thread, I am just getting a feel for your humour.
Your own signature is the best be strong and couragous.
You must have some of the routines down now might help?I know this my 1st journey not knowing what was round the corner was not always a bad thing. (shit,shit shit)
Charm I wish you and your missus all the best and want to hear your caustic posts.
Love CubanKeith

21st March squall cells.Endescopy not oesophagus, ENT .April endo nose CAT MRI general Panendoscopy prim-HPV 16 base of left tongue one node-stage 2.23rd of May.14/5/12 9 teeth out.8/6/12 PICC inserted.11/6/12 1st Chemos 25/6/12 2nd Chemo Cisplatin5FU:27/6/12 PEG23/8/12 Radiation finished 1/9/12.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hello Charm,

I am fairly new here but in my short time you are one of many who stand out for the knowledge, help, support, encouragement humor and positive attitudes etc. that you pass along to everyone. You have definately lifted my spirits and caused me to have optomistic thoughts.

As you move forward I look forward to your strengths pulling you through and your breaking away from this third occurance that has become an unfortunate setback.

2010 sore throat
Jan 2011 ENT no prob
Jun CAT no prob
July PET
July biop pos
July PEG

HPI (1-3) T2N1 squamous cell carcinoma right tongue base treatment chemo/XRT end Oct 2011.
Jan 2012 PET neg
June PET-18mm mass right tongue base pos to 7.2 SUV no nodes pos
July MRI.
July bio pos
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Oh, Charm. I am so sorry to hear this. Your posts have been so helpful to me and I'm sure to countless others. I really appreciate the wry, tough way you address challenges but I've also been deeply moved by your kindness and empathy. You will fight this and you will beat it because that's what you do.

I wish I had some wonderfully wise advice to help your wife. For what it's worth, I think what will help the most is having a plan in place and getting back in the fight.

Keep the faith, Charm. You have an awful lot of people in your corner.

Tracy - 33 at diagnosis
SCC right ventral tongue Dx 4/11.
T1N2M0
1st resection 5/11.
Bilateral neck dissection: 2 pos nodes
2nd resection w/graft 6/11.
Erbitux x 11 completed 9/11. IMRT x 30 completed 8/11.
3 month MRI and PET/CT all clear.
6, 9, 12 and 24 month post treatment MRIs all clear.

Like I said earlier, Charm..."We'll cross the finish line together!" Even if one of us has to kick the other's ass or drag it across (and I have a big ass), we'll do it holding hands smile.

Love,
Kerri

T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Treated with 35 rads/7 carbo & taxol (Rx ended 10/31/12), but many hospitalizations d/t complications from rx.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Well this news sucks!! I thought Christine wanted to keep the membership numbers down in her "Third time is a Charm Club" (of course named in your honour) but I am sure she will let you join!

There were lots of good words in that biopsy report - things like in-situ. You will know so much more after the MRI. Until then you really can't evaluate options. Stay the course, try to stay calm, and spend all the time you can hugging that wonderful wife of yours. One day I said how much I wanted to meet you and what I got back was them telling me how wonderful SHE is!!! Too funny.

Some of my favorite posts over the years were those you made IMMEDIATELY after your last surgery. They made no sense whatsoever, which of course is not like you!

There are several of us who are not here to prove the odds. - OUR job is to make them recalculate those odds. You are one of those. We have taken hits before, this is is no different. Marshall all your troops - mental physical and spiritual - we at OCF are digging in for the fight.

Hugs

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

Dear Charm, What can I say. This is gut wrenching. Like many others I have looked up to you and appreciated your wisdom, empathy , diligence and your humour. Yes , these are fighting times and you are a fighter. This is a battle that can be done. You are already armed, go fight.
As a caregiver and a member of the reoccurrance club I do know the utter devastation that Bev ( and You ) is feeling right now. She I'm sure just wants to fight for her Man and keep you safe. For myself, I found that once we knew exactly what we were facing and how we were going to treat it I was able to be much calmer. I stood right beside Kris and fought as hard as I could for him, Wife, Lover, Best Friend, Advocate, Cajoler, Encourager and Nurse. I definitely identify with her terror and fears. Sleeping pills helped me a lot too otherwise my mind just spiralled.Once treatment started I knew we could do the fight.
Should you need to lose your tongue, I'm here. Been there, done that. Go fight Warrior,
Tammy - and Kris

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I wish you "Strength in Body, Peace in Mind, Love in Heart". You are such an inspiration. Full of great advice, humor, intelligence etc. I could go on and on. <3 and good luck.

Pain late 2009. Dx as change in altitude. Sore spot on tongue late 2010. Dx as irritation.
Leukoplakia Bx Feb 2011 - Lichen Planus.
Bx May 2011 - Hyperplasia. Same sample retested as SCC.
June 2011 Rt Hemigloss,ND,rff,33 Rads. Hosp for 15 days w/bi-lateral pneumonia.
T3N1M0 Stage IV.
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Charm, there's not much I can say that hasn't been said by all these people here who admire, love and respect you. You and Bev are both strong people who can get through this. Third time WILL be the Charm. You've beaten it twice, you can do it again. Bev and you just hang on to each other and you will get through it together, one day at a time. You have had the best attitude throughout the 3 years I've been an OCF member. That positive spirit will get you through. You and Bev are in my thoughts.

Wife to Steve 43. DX 5 May 09. T4N2MO SCC tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes & jaw bone
No surgery
Teeth removed 06/07/2009
radiation 13/07/2009 x 7wks
chemo 15/07/2009 x 3 Cisplatin
last TX 28/08/2009
25/11/2009 PET-lymph node activity.
08/01/2010 CT Scan-ALL CLEAR
03/03/2010-Peg removed
01/2013 left side of Jaw removed and replaced with pectoral flap.
23/12/2020 scan show lesion in tongue
01/2021 SCC stage 3 base of tongue diagnosed
01/03/2021 chemotherapy started.

You are well armed for battle!! Strength. Knowledge. Good doctors. And love, love, love!

All of my best & most healing thoughts to you & your family. Thank you for all of your wise posts. You are an educator!!

Sally

Sally, 38 years old
T1N0M0 Left Tongue Lesion, Moderately Differentiated
10 + year history Leukoplakia, Mild Dysplasia before cancer diagnosis 8/2011
Scheduled Partial Glossectomy & Neck Dissection 9-17-11
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

I have nothing to say - just want to add my sincerest best wishes to the chorus.

Unfortunately I don't do hugs or blessings but if I did, I would fill this page with them. Draw on your strength and knowledge and support whilst taking one step at a time

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight

Just saw this on FB this morning. Hang tough man.

Kevin

9 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking

Charm!

I can't believe what I am reading! WHY!?!? WHY?!?!? WHY!?!?

This is so unfair. I can't imagine what you and Bev must be going through, you know we are all here for you. Big ((HUGS)) my friend.

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Just some thoughts to hang on to (now I am over the shock and able to think a bit more clearly).
*Sounds like the SCC is tonsillar which may mean that it is more accessible to surgery and less functionally destructive than BOT.
*If SCC is tonsillar, total glossectomy might not be part of the plan.
*Moderately differentiated suggests a better outcome than poorly differentiated.
*You have had a few years to regain your health so you are better equipped physically than the second time around.
*You have a direct line to the best "go to" team.
*I assume this was caught early so hopefully treatment might not be so severe.
*You are the perfect advocate for your own treatment

I know that you know all this but hope that if you see it written down, you will be better able to focus on it.

Karen
Finish Aug 27
Still underweight

Charm, Just found out about this through Elizabeth (Esikon) on Facebook. This really sucks. Talking with you and your wife was one of the highlights of the 2011 walk in San Antonio for my wife and I. Your story about the judge telling you to ask for an HC recess was a great one that i've retold to friends several times. Some of them were lawyers.

Your name was one of the first names i became familiar with on this board. I must admit that anything I say would be advice you've already given someone else. But, the best advice i've ever been given and that i always give when someone calls me up and says, "Please call my friend and talk to them, they've been diagnosed with oral cancer and they are afraid." is be STRONG. And I know you will.

I'm 3 1/2 years out now and only come back to this board every month or two to see what's going on, but this will have me coming back more often to check on you. Please keep us informed and tell your beautiful wife (I've seen her) we are here if she needs us.

57 @ Dx, Stg IV BOT (1.5cm), lymph nodes (lrgst 2.5cm), non-smoker, casual drinker and exercise nut, Cisplatin x 2, Erbetux w/IMRT x 35/70Gy, PEG, Treated in San Antonio @ CTRC 12/16/08-1/27/09.
3/5/09-CT
6/12/09-PET, PEG out
12/1/09-CT
12/6/10-PET
12-8/11-CT
1-4/13-CT
(all clean)

%&^*$@#_)(%#^&*()_)!!!

And that's all I have to say bout this...

CG to Ron
Out of Pain 4/3/13
4/12-lung and under chin growth no treatment
1/13/12 lung biopsy
6/11 recur 6/30 resection #2 Clear margins
Clear 12/10
Surg 5/13/10 neck dis/nodes part gloss/flap R thigh all teeth out
RAD 30 8/10
DX 4/2/10 "Oral Cavity" T3NOMO
12/28/07 Non Hodg Lymph remission 7/08
passed away 4.3.15, RIP Ron, you are greatly missed

Charm, I'm so, so sorry you have to go through this battle yet again. It's just not fair but life unfortunately isn't fair at times. I fear a recurrance with John and how I would handle it. I know so much more now than I did 3 years ago about this horrible disease but that can sometimes be a scarey thing also.

As a caregiver the only thing that kept me sane and calm was to feel like I was actively doing something and in the fight with John not just standing on the sidelines. John has never been on this message board and probably never will. He is a "private" person and would get very upset with me for "sharing" our lives with strangers. You strangers are now part of my extended family and a lifeline for so many.

For most of us females we have to talk about things and share our fears and concerns. Let Bev talk when she needs to and cry when she needs to.

YOU WILL BEAT THIS!!! We are all standing here fighting along with you! All My Best Always! Wanda

Wanda (47) caregiver to husband John (56) age at diag.(2009)
1-13-09 diagnosed Stage IV BOT SCC (HPV+)
2-12-09 PEG placed, 7-6-09 removed
Cisplatin 7 weeks, 7 weeks (35) IMRT
4-15-09 - treatment completed
8-09,12-09-CT Scans clear, 4-10,6-11-PET Scans clear
4-2013 - HBO (30 dives) tooth extraction
10-2019 - tooth extraction, HBO (10 dives)
11-2019 - Left lateral tongue SCC - Stage 2

Charm,

I am so sorry that you have a recurrence. I second what Wanda said. In addition, Clark also does not come on these boards and so many things I have learned about this cancer, and the wonderful people I have met here are so special. There are many times I want to say something regarding a post or person from the boards but I have to be careful as Clark would find the info upsetting. The fact that you and Bev share so much of your experience with others is a gift to us all. I always look for your posts. I love your wit and wisdom, your sincerity and compassion.

I wish you did not have to endure this insult to your body and psyche. I pray for you and Bev and send you love and healing vibes. We will rally around you and fight with you. HUGS!

My best to you-
Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

So sorry to hear Charm....you are in my thoughts!

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010

It does seem that when both members of the "survivor couple" come on this forum, it is more the exception than the norm and usually it is either the caregiver or the survivor. In my own experience, my son only came on very briefly, saying it was too worrisome for him to hear about what others were going through. I didn't push it because he was already suffering depression and in therapy for that and I so wanted for him to be able to get through his surviving the best way possible for him. For me, the fact that he did not come on here was an advantage in that I could express myself honestly, I could cry and be frustrated, knowing others would understand and I didn't have to worry about how I was holding it together, hiding my fears from him. He did get lots of help through all the posts that I made copies of for him to read. Whatever works for each of us is what helps us all get through this journey. Charm - you know we are all with you and Bev in this latest fight. Sending hope and prayers and positive vibes your way.

Anne-Marie

My dear Charm,

Sorry it has taken me several days to compose a post. I seemed to be at a loss for words about your latest news. IT SUCKS...

I don't know anyone who is better prepared for another round in this battle. You will do it and we will all be behind you holding you (and Bev) up. You know the drill, you know what to watch out for, who to get meds from, how to keep hydrated, etc. And if you falter, you have Bev there to keep you on the straight and narrow.

If Bev would like to chat with my caregiver husband, by all means he would be honored to help out. Eric Statler will tell you that Ted knows all about the caregiver role.

In the meantime, you are both on my mind and in my prayers.

Ingrid

DX 12/6/10 of T3 SCC Tongue.
Surgery 1/3/11 was hemigloss & forearm free flap, midline mandibulectomy, Neck Disection-All nodes clear.
Ended rads 5/11/11. Taste buds back to about 80%. PEG removed 4/5/12, experimenting eating real food again. If I can do this, so can you !! Stay Strong.
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

I have been reading this thread plus your previous one from last Friday and like many of us was shocked at your news.
Your posts have always been read worthy given your knowledge, well researched posts, empathy and also your wonderful sense of humour.
My very best wishes to you and Bev as you fight this dreadful disease again.
We are all here to follow your journey with you and know that with your fighting spirit and your wonderful carer you will overcome this again.
Love
Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

Charm,

You know that you are my Hero. I have a hard time adding to what others have said already. I can understand your worry for Bev. My Allison has been through the ringer time and time again and has never complained or freeked out (at least not in front of me).

Many a time I have sat and listened while some doctor gave me rotten news, all the time looking at that girl on the chair next to mine with her chin up, putting her hand on mine and letting me know in her unspoken way that she would be there for me whatever may come. How can we repay these wonderful women for all they do and all the pain and uncertainty they silently endure?

Anything, and I mean ANYTHING, just give me a call. If Bev wants to talk with Allison and compare notes or just rail against this dreaded disease, let me know and I'll have my girl call your girl.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

I am so sorry to hear this Charm.

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery

NO!!!!!!!, sorry I have not been on in awhile. Do not have Internet acces except for phone and that is limited. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. I am just shocked at this news. I will try to get back here more often.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN
Baby girl born 11-30-12
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Charm,
I am so sorry that you and Bev have to go through this again. I thought that something that might give you both cause for optimism is that after my second round of IMRT in 2010 I was cancer free for about 10 months and then was diagnosed with SCC in the left buccal area. It appeared to be localized and I had two surgeries to remove the suspect area. (I had cancer on one of the margins of the first surgery, hence the second op). All seemed good with this until my checkup when it appeared to be back. A biopsy confirmed it and a decision was made to do a wide area excision and replace it with a forearm free flap. This was done in February of 2011 and I have not had a problem since. I still run to my ENT everytime something concerns me. He had once told me that I should do the things I wanted to do do sooner rather than later but now he says that while my prognosis has to be somewhat guarded given the recurrent nature of my disease, I can now plan for the longer term. I am proof that a recurrence after being radiated twice is not a death sentence.

Tell Bev to be optimistic a day spent worrying about what might happen is a day wasted. If your disease is localized it is likely no radiation will be necessary, and surgery may completely removed.

Think positively!! Completely off topic I bought a Vitamix and am happily putting blended whole foods down my PEG. Thanks for that info. I will get a button next month.

Love and Best Wishes to you and Bev.

Sue G

55 y/o
SCC LL Tongue 3/27/07
Part. mandibulectomy 9/2/07
Left ND 5/12/08
RT/Chemo
Rec LL Tongue 07/09
Part gloss 8/5 & 8/25
Surg 10/28/09 re mets to R neck & L jaw
RT & Chemo finished 12/22/09
PEG fitted 05/06/10
L buccal SCC 10/10
freeflap (forearm)surgery 2/28/11 L buccal and gingiva

I am so sorry to hear this. You are such an inspiration and I am in awe of your strength and positivity! I feel for you and your wife - being a caregiver is hard, I know. But together you will both get through this!

Jill..CG to Ken, age 43,mom of 1yr old girl.
DIAG:12/9/10 SCC BOT T4N0M0 HPV+
START:1/3/11 IMRT dailyX35 and 7 chemo
END:2/23/11 PEG IN:1/15/11 Out:4/26/11
CT/MRI 4/25/11-marked improvement CT 6/11 new spots
BX 6/23-cancer present
Total Glossectomy sched 7/20/11
7/19/11 Ken's suffering ended
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Charm, I too have been benefiting greatly form your very valuable knowledge, especially with reguard to diet. You are a great inspiration to me. Your humour makes this forum seem very real rather than virtual. It seems so wrong that you should be dealing with this again. I hope we newbies at dealing with this horrrible cancer can help to give you back some of the support you have given us.

Best wishes, Sally

Dx 10/11 51yrs LBOT Stage 4 2nodes HPV16+. Non-smoker mod alcohol.
10/11 Induction chemox2 (Docetaxel, 5-Flu, Cisplatin) then Cisplatinx2 IMRTx30. Ended 01/13/12.
12/07/11 RIG. RIG removed 05/05/12.
4/12 CT scan clear. Visual scope checks clear as of 10/13. Learning to live with eating challenges.

Charm I have never felt this bad for anyone. Having met you online a few times and kidding with you made you a specil and intelligent person.If you had to you would look up the topic and give advice. This I appreciate very much. You have had me smiling and sometimes in teras. Man I pray that you will be fine and with us for another 40 yrs or more even if I won't be. The best of wishes to you and your wife for now and ever.This was a big shock of reallity for all the members of OFC.--- Ole typo Jim

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Okay - here I am waiting for the update. I know you had an appointment this morning, have calculated out how long approximately you would take to get home and digest/assess the info, so I am looking forward to hearing an update as soon as you feel ready to post one!

Many Hugs

Donna

P.S. I purposely didn't check OCF until after 12pm because my daughter believes even numbers are lucky and odd ones unlucky. Somehow this logical civil engineer has infected me with this bizarre superstition with even/odd! Go Figure.

Last edited by Pandora99; 08-28-2012 10:24 AM. Reason: typos!!

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
OP Offline

sorry for the delay in posting the update, but after my doctor's appointment, I had to drive the MRI scans and reports over to Georgetown CCC so my RO would have time to review them before my appointment tomorrow late afternoon. Then it was time to take my pain pills that I didn't this morning because I wanted to be clear headed.

GOOD NEWS: It looks like I'll get to keep my tongue and voicebox. the pain in my tongue is just referred pain from the tumor pressing on a nerve.

Complication: The tumor location in the left lateral wall/tonsil fossa makes surgery "highly problematic".
That leaves only radiation & chemo.

So tomorrow, my RO will schedule a Petscan and then see if I can do a third round of radiation (I just found an obscure article saying 133 GY total is doable and I've only had 97GY)

I'm scheduled to "discuss" with my MO an NIH clinical trial for chemo that Brian Hill turned me onto which my surgeon thought would be just the ticket. Not clear yet on the mechanics of getting in but I do meet all the criteria.

Now you all know what I know.
Oh, bonus news, today's Wall Street Journal had an article listing all the medications that can mimic the effects of Alzheimer's disease re memory etc and I've been on two of them daily: Lipitor & Robinul. That explains why I can wake up and think: Huh, is my cancer really back? wink

Keep the Faith
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

Sounds like you have some promising news with your latest update. Thats very good to hear!!! What about brachytherapy? Is that an option? Would it be helpful at all?

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
OP Offline

Christine

I will check with my RO but my impression is that those radioactive seeds did not do very well for my tumor location. Too many complications with the carotid arteries & nerve damage from some studies I've read. Dr Google is somewhat depressing as he keeps pulling up excerpts like this
[quote]Tonsillar fossa cancer presents a clinical treatment
dilemma, as there are neither prospective randomized
trials nor site-specific retrospective analyses that clearly
indicate a superior approach to this locally and regionally
aggressive disease[/quote]
Still it never hurts to ask and he would know.. He's pretty sharp. Thanks for reminding me not to dismiss anything,
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 08-28-2012 11:30 AM. Reason: added quote

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

[quote]Oh, bonus news, today's Wall Street Journal had an article listing all the medications that can mimic the effects of Alzheimer's disease re memory etc and I've been on two of them daily: Lipitor & Robinul. That explains why I can wake up and think: Huh, is my cancer really back? [/quote]

Take double doses and maybe you will wake up with "what's cancer?" smile

Karen
Finish Aug 27
Still underweight
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Charm,

What about IMPT for that "highly problematic" area?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

David

Thanks for suggesting yet another topic to bring up with my RO.
Even though my CCC does not offer it, he will be able to let me know how it compares. I'm hoping that the prior fields did not include this section of my neck much.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

Charm,

my tumor was just behind the area your recurrence is in. I know you had a similar treatment to mine three years ago, but they have made some advances. One of the things my doctor said whenever I would say that other institutions were unaware of these new developments was " I don't know why, we've been publishing our data for four years".

You might mention this to your team to see if they can gain any advantage from those reports. my ENT was Dr. Robert Ferris at UPMC. My RO was Dr. Dwight Heron. Dr. Heron was the guy who headed up the radiology aspect of these newer protocals.

Hope this helps

Kelly
Male
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
04-20-10 NED
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Definitely sounds like good news... Fingers crossed it gets better.. Hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
OP Offline

Thank God for the OCF news feed. I just caught up on it and while it is only an "opinion" piece from NYT about IMPT entitled: It Costs More but is it worth it?
So I will mention the caveats below when I discuss this with my RO late this afternoon. I've been so insistent in questioning my doctors the last 5 years about "how do you know this? ; your clinical experience? an article? a medical salesperson? studies?.
[quote]The higher price would be worth it if proton beam therapy cured more people or significantly reduced side effects. But there is no evidence showing that this is true, except for a handful of rare pediatric cancers, like brain and spinal cord cancer... To generate sufficient revenue, proton beam facilities need to treat patients with other types of cancer. Consequently, they have been promoted for patients with lung, esophageal, breast, head and neck cancers. But the biggest target by far has been prostate cancer, diagnosed in nearly a quarter of a million men each year.
There is no convincing evidence that proton beam therapy is as good as � much less better than � cheaper types of radiation for any one of these cancers. There has not been a single randomized trial, only small, short-term studies.[/quote]
As much as I try to keep up on the research, Brian does it all for us on the OCF News Feed. Like the Washington Post ad says: [quote]OCF news, if you don't get it, you don't get it[/quote]
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

The reason I mentioned IMPT is that it was (I believe) designed to treat difficult to reach tumors, like brain, lung, etc. The articles I read (years ago) said that IMPT reaches the tumor without any damage to cells going in or out and when it reaches the pre computer designed tumor coordinates it enters it and conforms to the tumor and like a smart bomb, destroys just the tumor. So when you mentioned your "highly promblematic" tumor I thought that IMPT might be able to reach it and destroy it safely.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

David

Your impression is exactly the one I had from my research when this popped up on the forum. I did raise it with my RO with the caveats that I knew it was only proven with brain & pediatric cancer but seemed promising for head & neck also. I was stunned by his answer - even though he cautioned that he did not want to sound cynical nor be critical of the new IMPT centers. He had already referred several of his patients who were all rejected by more than one IMPT center since they had already had IMRT & Cyberknife. He said it was understandable that since IMPT is still seeking empirical validation for non brain cancer and non pediatric patients, that except for those two categories, patients who had radiation twice were not being accepted because it was more likely than not to have failures which would not necessarily be the fault of IMPT yet statistically they would.
He emphasized what has been the story on this forum and several patients experience, re-radiation after the "maximum' is risky. He does it a lot, in part because of referrals from other hospitals, doctors and even other CCC. If he had an IMPT machine, he'd try it but he can understand since they are so scarce why they are being used on those whom they can help the most.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 08-29-2012 02:46 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
OP Offline

Okay Here is the results of my RO visit today
As far as IMPT, read the post above. As far as brachytherapy or seeds, he has done quite a few but the "hot spot" problem (the cells right next to the seed) in my case would cause cartilage necrosis in his experience.
So that only leaves Cyberknife. He is getting a PETscan for me next week and then he is going to use some snazzy new technology that overlays the entire radiation fields of my first 4O IMRT over top of the second Cyberknife fields and then adds in the PETscan results of the tumor activity. Then he can see if there are enough areas and vectors to hone in the Cyberknife beams to kill the tumor without causing a cascade of necrosis that would mean I would have to have my larynx out and have a permanent trach. He pointed out that 97GY is quite a lot and there is a danger of closing out my airways entirely plus other very bad results with more radiation..
He thought that the NIH trial Brian found for me would be my only viable option if the fields overlap too much.
Needless to say, my wife was disappointed. It did not help that the resident was so excited to meet me because I contradicted what he had been taught in medical school about maximum radiation. the only good news out of all of this is that the RO feels this is a new cancer, not a recurrence so it's not like this is a totally radiation resistant cancer.
So the waiting begins again
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 08-29-2012 03:02 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Not that anyone wants to have a New cancer but if its a better prognosis then yeah!! Hope thy can do the rads!!!

Brotha you and Bev are on my mind an in my heart my friend. I love you both very much.

To borrow your line...Keep the faith

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

This is so awful, Charm. You have been through so much and have been an inspiration to so many of us.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I certainly don't profess to understand the science your RO is dealing with comparing all the radiation options so it's difficult for me to totally understand why IMPT wouldn't deliver the least damage in the most effective way regardless of how many gys you have already had or the results of those overlays but it sounds like your fortunate that you have someone who is throughly examining all the options scientifically. Man lets hope you catch some breaks and this cancer can be trumped for good.

David

OP Offline

David

The reason you "don't understand" is that my RO agrees with you that IMPT would probably deliver the least damage. But so far none of his referrals for IMPT have been accepted if the patient already had two rounds of radiation. I've been researching the heck out of this after yesterday and so far the only IMPT center I could find regularly accepting re-radiation was in Geneva, Switzerland and even they would only accept one prior radiation. Abraham cancer center has a clinical trial for IMPT re-radiation but again seems to be only for one prior radiation.(NCT01126476) I did find an interviews with MD Anderson on why they prefer pediatric or brain cancer patients and even for those they reject some. [quote]Yeah, perfect patient would be generally at this point would be benign tumors and there's a reason for that is the advantage of proton is the dose falls off so rapidly and that's a good thing. You are decreasing the amount of radiation to the surrounding brain, but benign tumors are very sharply demarcated. There's not tumor cells extended beyond them, so that's why protons works well for those. We'd mentioned earlier glioblastoma, we don't treat those tumors with protons and there's reason for that, there have tumor cells that's spread out from them and that's way kind of lose the advantage of that sharp border with protons compared to the standard photon radiation therapy.
[/quote] full podcast Best tumors for proton
The practical problem is that since proton facilities can cost up to $225 million for each one, and the ones open are still in Phase I and Phase II trials to establish that in practice IMPT is as good as in theory and better than IMRT for non brain cancers such as prostate and head/neck, it would be counterproductive for any of them to treat an extremely high risk cohort such as patients with two full prior radiation treatments. There are already a number of articles, blogs etc all citing the lack of "proof" for IMPT.
You are right that I am lucky to have an RO who has already tried to get IMPT for third time patients unsuccessfully so is willing to work with what is available.
charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

I asked about IMPT when I had my recurrence. I got the same answer from a few different doctors. They said that the IMPT beam is very precise, probably too precise for head and neck cancers. Unless the cancer is very well defined and tight, the beam will not hit all the cancer cells around the edges as IMRT does. It does well with childhood cancers in certain places because those tumors tend to have very well defined edges and are typically very tight whereas Head and Neck cancers tend to be a bit more diffused at the edges.

Although there were a few trials out there at the time, no one I was dealing with felt it was a good idea to go off the farm that far when they had so much more experience with current radiation treatments.

My two cents.

Kelly
Male
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
04-20-10 NED
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR
OP Offline

Kelly211

I know how hard you pressed the doctors and how diligent you were in going from place to place (just like DavidCPA) did, so your post is very reassuring to me. I had read similar things but it's hard not to wish & hope for some "magic wand". The advice you were given takes the sting out of my RO's telling me IMPT would not take me anyway.
The clinical trials in place will settle this question but , lots of articles point out that so far, the results for IMPT and IMRT for head & neck have not been "proven" to be different.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 08-30-2012 11:18 AM. Reason: back on point

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Wow!! I thought I was too old to learn something new and disgusting but even if you could find a IMPT facility that would treat you it doesn't sound like it would be to your advantage unless of course your tumor was tight and neat.

David

OP Offline

DavidCPA

You old? We all know that you are keeping the Fountain of Youth location secret now that you found it. Everybody knows it was in Florida which is where it is according to Wikipedia. How else could you still be biking so many miles after Stage IV cancer?
I'm gonna beat this the old fashioned hard way.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I'll try and find it and send you a ton of it. Remember I'm with you 1000%. Hell I'll bike up there and kill that damn crap myself if I have to. lol Yesterday I was riding along by myself at 18 mpg into a slight head wind (really struggling)and I look behind me and I see someone slowly but surely catching up so he has to be going 20, 22. Riding into a headwind by yourself is NOT fun. Anyway he pulls along beside me and it's a riding friend who has muscles on top of muscles and veins on top of veins, probably negative body fat, etc. I can hardly breath much less talk and he's talking up a storm. Now he's the one that must have found that spring because he's 75.

David

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Charm,
I apologize for not posting sooner and am greatly saddened by your recent news.
But... I know you can do it!

And I can't resist, in the interest of those of us on these forums past their sixth decade (sadly too few for several reasons):

[quote=davidcpa]Yesterday I was riding along by myself at 18 mpg into a slight head wind (really struggling)and I look behind me and I see someone slowly but surely catching up so he has to be going 20, 22. Riding into a headwind by yourself is NOT fun. Anyway he pulls along beside me and it's a riding friend who has muscles on top of muscles and veins on top of veins, probably negative body fat, etc. I can hardly breath much less talk and he's talking up a storm. Now he's the one that must have found that spring because he's 75. [/quote]

David,
Any "Old Frack" that can still get 18mpg is OK by me. What kind of motor you got on that bike?

Love you guys.

Catherine

2mm tumor excised 09/23/2008 (floor of mouth)
SCC (superficially invasive, well-differentiated)
Stage 1, T1N0M0
01/2009 and 01/2010 - PET/CT clear
Four and 1/2 years - NED!
"Detection can be easy, treatment is not!"
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Ooops typing to fast! 18 mph

David

Hum, 18mpg, must be a Harley.

PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Davidcpa
Ha! too funny that the same acronym was repeated! I thought this was an Americanism that didn't translate down under.
Karen

Karen
Finish Aug 27
Still underweight
OP Offline

It's good to have a nice laugh from these types of posts from my OCF family. I did think at first that DavidCPA was subtly bragging that his older super fit neighbor had to use a motorized bike to keep up with our OCF dope free version of Lance Armstrong.
This morning I did have another cheering bit of news on the issue of speed I still have a better time for the marathon than any person who has run for President or Vice President VP candidate Paul Ryan has now formally admitted that his best marathon time is closer to 4 hours, not three hours as he initially claimed in an interview. It was a funny retraction since he claimed the "fact checker" was his brother who has the faster marathon times in his family and who has never broken three hours. His memory refreshed, Ryan now claims a 3 hour 50 minute time.
Scott Douglas of Runner's World writes, "If Ryan has broken 3:00, he'd be the fastest marathoner to be on a national ticket. John Edwards has run 3:30; George W. Bush has run 3:44; Sarah Palin has run 3:59; and Al Gore has run 4:58."
That leaves my 3 hours and 15 minutes as the best. Heck even my worst marathon time was 3:30 (I quit after 4 because the times were getting worse not better)
My knees gave out and now the only championship I have is at my gym for holding the plank for 13 minutes and 4 seconds
Trying to spend a lot of time at the gym this month to get stronger for the battle ahead in October.
Have a great Labor Day weekend
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

OK I need a proof reader!

David

KP5 Offline

You guys amaze me!!!! And I mean that in a positive way!!

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Dx 7/15/11
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11

I just saw this link. I had 4 recurrences. Just completed IORT, which was a neck dissection, radiation during surgery, and a pectoral flap. In a few weeks, I will have more radiation, and chemo. Have you looked into laser surgery? Brachytherapy as mentioned or IORT? Also, they are doing more Reirridation than before now, but depends how much the area received, and reason for my flap with new tissue. Good luck.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

OP Offline

Well still no word back from the radiology oncologist if he can devise a treatment plan. I'll give him until Monday after we get back from the David Nasto Memorial /OCF Walk in Andover NJ .
Regular readers know I often advise newbies to get into their feelings of anger and fear and yearnings to be cured but not be trapped or overwhelmed by them by setting aside one or two 15 minutes of wallowing in them each day, then move on. I often rewrite songs I hear in my mind.
Thought I'd share today's wallowing, brought on by an evocative Everly Brother's song: When Will I Be Loved;
[quote]
I've had radiation, I've had chemo
When will I be cured
I've been cut open, I'm on a Peg tube
When will I be cured

When I get a new treatment that I want for mine
It always breaks my heart in two, it happens every time
I've been cheated, been mistreated
When will I be cured

I've been made blue, I've been lied to,
When will I be cured

When will I be cured
FADE
When will I be cured[/quote]

Then I think what if an Angel appeared and said I could be not only cured but made whole as if the Cancer had never happened, but I would have to lose the Love of my wife and son. I'd choose Love. As bad as this cancer is, when I was lonely and unloved, that was worse.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

That is just beautiful, Charm! The song I have always liked - and your version really makes it special but what really warmed my heart were your words to express so touchingly the importance of love in one's life and the people close to us.

Anne-Marie

klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Charm

At the risk of coming across as an ignorant , would the song be better known to some of us younger FRACKs as sung by Linda Rondstadt? Need to know this so I can sing it to myself.

Loved your clarity around what it more important to you - although it would be nice to have both love and health

Karen
Finish Aug 27
Still underweight
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hugs dude... Give your drs a kick in the butt times a wasting... Awesome song.

OP Offline

Karen

Yes, Linda Ronstadt did a cover version which I liked in college.
The most recent one I saw was John Fogerty in a 2009 You tube video. I was going to link to You Tube but could not find the original more soulful Everly brothers version.

Yes, I'd like to be whole and cured and love but as another golden oldie band sang
[quote]You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you get what you need[/quote]
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

Charm, love your remake of the song. I like the Everly Brothers version better than Ronstadt's but both are good, also. I may use for a future tagline.

Michael (husband) and I do something very similar between ourselves, making up new lyrics. We also come up with apropos lyrics from songs for each of our blog headings and ask our readers to "name that tune". We even have a private list of songs we haven't used, not wanting to offend those who don't share our sometimes twisted sense of humor, for example "My Wife and My Dead Wife" by Robyn Hitchcock (suddenly thought of Schr�dinger's cat - don't know why that didn't occur to me before now).

Anyway, I've been here a very short time but have already come to look forward to your posts. I'm so sorry for what you're going through but your spirit is an inspiration to all.

Best of luck to you!

mausmarrow.com
Age 59 ex-smoker 1989
1/10 dx MDS (blood cancer)
2010-11 21 cycles Vidaza
11/10 Bone Marrow Transplant
8/31/12 dx SCC left BOT HPV 16+ T1N2cM0
10/11/12 TORS partial glossectomy clear margins
10/24/12 bilateral ND/ii-iv 92 nodes all clear
10/30/12 dx revised T1N0M0 no chemo or rads

Charm -
I've been off the forum & was off FB during the time you got the diagnosis, so this is the first I've had a chance to catch up. I can't add anything that hasn't been said. YOu've been an inspiration to so many, & I know everyone is praying for you and a good outcome. Take care,
Marlene

Marginal mandibulectomy 6/17/08 resulted in DX of Stage I SCC - gingiva (3 mm) right mandible, buccal side. Clear margins. Occasional social drinker. Smoked last cigarette in 1979. Clear pet: 12/08; 7/20/09. Yay!
OP Offline

Marlene Thanks for the kind words.

Everyone: I finally got my treatment plan this morning.
Chemo this Saturday ; first of three weekly infusions of Carboplatin. (see my separate post where I am asking about Taxol being added as a "chaser" )
Then 5 more Cyberknifes starting next Friday October 5th and ending up on my birthday, the 11th. (when I will update my signature line to my new age)

My wife and I are so relieved to finally have the suspense over. Regular readers have probably deduced that I'm not a big fan of clinical trials which would have been my only alternative if they couldn't do a third round.
Another reason to go to a CCC, because many non CCCs think you can't do radiation twice let alone three times, while even the CCCs who don't feel comfortable doing it will recommend a place that does.

Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 09-24-2012 08:22 AM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

Good - glad you you have your plan in hand. I don't know if telling you I am sending my best wishes is entirely honest as I am a worrier by nature, but will certainly be fretting for your treatment to be lacking in drama and the outcome to be excellent.
Maria

Last edited by Maria; 09-24-2012 08:50 AM.

Glad you have your plan all set. I'll be thinking of you (and I'm sure many others will be) as you get started on your journey this Saturday. Wishing the very best for you and hoping for everything to go just the way it is supposed to!

Anne-Marie

Im so glad you are finally ready to begin. Im sure you and Bev are very relieved!!! Wishing you all the best with everything you will be facing.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years

Wonderful news, Charm. I wish you the very best, and it sounds like you're in good hands to get that. Your posts, and your latest problem, give hope to all of us if we ever have a recurrence and helps lead us in the right direction. Thank you for posting, and I pray for you to get an "ALL CLEAR" report in the future.
julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Good luck friend. Did you tell them I'll ride up and do a English/Irish CPA dancechant if they think it will boost your treatment's impact?

David

Hi, Charm,

I am sorry that you have to go through this again. I wish you all that is positive as you navigate this path. You are an inspiration to me and I am sad that you have a recurrence. You are in my prayers and I send you and Bev my very best. I wish that I could have met you at Susan's Walk but Clark and I took a much needed vacation--first one in five years! Hang in there, good man!

Anita

Anita (68)
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

About bloody time!! I have been watching and waiting to hear what the plan was - and am now THRILLED that you are about to start. Now you can settle in and focus on dealing with what will no doubt be a tough treatment plan. Awesome!! You are now done with that "have it back b.s." and are finally on the path to it being GONE GONE GONE like the wind!! Great news.

Hugs

Donna

My prayers are with you! go get that son of b...! zap him off!

CG to father, SCC, soft palate - Aug09, 3 TIP, 6 Erbitux + 30 IMRT (60GY) - Jan 10
October '10, Left Partial Maxillectomy + Palatectomy + Recons, 8 methotrexate.Extreme pain in throat and head
August '12 - Right partial Maxillectomy, Left complete maxillectomy, Mandibulectomy, further treatment?
OP Offline

Okay, did my chemo today. Here's today's song from Jody Messina: Bring on the Rain
Bring on the Rain
The you tube version is the link above And I did not even have to change the lyrics but I did after some wine tonite
[quote]Another day has almost come and gone
Can't imagine what else could go wrong
Sometimes I'd like to hide away somewhere and lock the door
A single battle lost but not the war ('cause)

[Chorus:]
Tomorrow's another day
And I'm thirsty anyway
So bring on the radiation
It's almost like the hard times circle 'round
A couple drops and they all start coming down
Yeah, I might feel defeated,
And I might hang my head
I might be barely breathing - but I'm not dead, no ('cause)

[Chorus]

I'm not gonna let it get me down
I'm not gonna cry
And I'm not gonna lose any sleep tonight ('cause)

Tomorrow's another day
And I am not afraid
So bring on the radiation
[Chorus]

Bring on the radiation bring on the radiation

Bring on the radiation

Bring on, bring on, the radiation
[/quote]
charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 09-29-2012 03:32 PM. Reason: Changed the lyrics

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

Beautiful song, Charm! I like your version of the lyrics. It would be nice if there was a collection of these songs where you've changed the lyrics to accommodate our survivors and have songs played for them during Rad Tx or Chemo. Was this song played during your chemo today?

Anne-Marie

Go get 'em, Charm! xoxo, Kerri

T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo

Thinking of you with your treatments. Hope it all goes as planned and that this time will be easier than the first 2 warm up rounds.

Best wishes and be well!!!!

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years

That is a beautiful song, one that I had never heard before. Thank you for sharing it. I, too, hope that your course is smooth and with no bumps in the road. I'm praying for you, Charm!

Anita (68)
PEG 7/21
Botox injections

Great song. Made me cry but it has meaning! Thanks for posting it.

Female 47 former smoker (quit in 1986), very light drinker. 1st diag 8/1/11. Surgery 9/6/11 SCC L BOT Tongue T1N0MO stage II w/partial gloss with no rad or chemo follow up. Recur 8/16/12 T1N1M0 - stage III. Neck dissection surgery 8/29/12 with 35 sessions of rad and 6 chemo beginning 10/8/12.
KP5 Offline

Give em hell Charm!! Thinking of you and KNOWING this will be the last time!
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Dx 7/15/11
ngk Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Nancy (53 at dx)
Metastatic SCC. Stage III. HPV positive with occult primary. N1, no ecs
7/1/11 - L-Selective neck dissection. Tonsillectomy. All clean. No rad, no chemo.
5/29/13 - Found primary
7/3/13 - TORS
7/8/13 - Emergency Surgery/Blood vessel burst in throat
8/9/13 - Peg in
9/3/13 - Radiation starts 30 IMRT, 60gy BOT, 56gy both sides of neck
10/14/13 - Radiation ended!
11/12/13 - PEG out!
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hugs dude... smile you will get though this! wink

Best wishes with everything this week!

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Thinking of you every day, knowing that you are attacking this with the intense determination that only you can bring to it. Love that you changed the lyrics - they are awesome. Know you and your beautiful wife are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs

Donna

(p.s. I played online duplicate bridge the other day with a lady from VA - very close to you! You never know when I will show up in your area for a bridge tournament!!)

Last edited by Pandora99; 09-30-2012 12:55 PM.

Perfect song. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best.

mausmarrow.com
Age 59 ex-smoker 1989
2010-11 21 cycles Vidaza
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

In my thoughts Charm xx

Wife to Steve 43. DX 5 May 09. T4N2MO SCC tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes & jaw bone
No surgery
Teeth removed 06/07/2009
radiation 13/07/2009 x 7wks
chemo 15/07/2009 x 3 Cisplatin
last TX 28/08/2009
25/11/2009 PET-lymph node activity.
08/01/2010 CT Scan-ALL CLEAR
03/03/2010-Peg removed
01/2013 left side of Jaw removed and replaced with pectoral flap.
23/12/2020 scan show lesion in tongue
01/2021 SCC stage 3 base of tongue diagnosed
01/03/2021 chemotherapy started.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Okay Charm - so I see your last post was on Oct 2nd. I am wondering how you are doing but expect you are too busy being dedicated to treatment to post. When you are able, we look forward to an update. Know that we are all sending good vibes and/or prayers,

Hugs to you.

Donna

Last edited by Pandora99; 10-04-2012 05:53 PM.

OP Offline

Donna

Unfortunately I've been "too busy being dedicated" not to my TX, but to dealing with unexpected bureaucratic complications from turning 65 this month. My insurance as a former federal employee, like many others, makes Medicare my primary insurance automatically while of course still keep charging me my same premiums plus I pay another $1,200 for Part B coverage. Don't get me wrong, it's still a better deal than most all Americans have.
The problem is twofold: (1) paperwork as apparently the default assumption is that between Sept 30th and October 1, I was miraculously cured and (2) I was born on the same day, different year, as my Dad so I have his name but with the traditional Jr. Medicare has my childhood legal name from Social Security but when I started working a half century ago, the computer systems did not have an entry field so there were no suffixes. So now all my medical records need to be "corrected' to show that I am still the same person and not my own son.
My feeding tube supplier has put my orders on hold until they get extensive records from my doctor and the name changes done. This morning I have to fill out new forms before the radiation and chemo in three different places in the hospital to show Medicare is primary . So I'm sending emails, faxes, and making irate phone calls. It didn't help that I had a bad synergistic reaction to Robinul and Zofran and carboplatin that had me doubled up with abdominal pain for two days while dry heaving.
Nothing I can't handle but it's very time consuming. I'm trying to look at it as funny in an existential absurdity way.
Oops, have to run to get to the hospital early to get new orders for blood work with my childhood name
Charm, Jr.

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

What a nightmare dealing with both insurance companies and bureaucracies! When I read your post, I thought of this song - hope it brings a smile. Karen

"I'm My Own Grandpa"

"Many, many years ago when I was twenty-three
I was married to a widow who was pretty as could be
This widow had a grown-up daughter who had hair of red
My father fell in love with her and soon they too were wed

"This made my dad my son-in-law and really changed my life
For now my daughter was my mother, 'cause she was my father's wife
And to complicate the matter, even though it brought me joy
I soon became the father of a bouncing baby boy

"My little baby then became a brother-in-law to dad
And so became my uncle, though it made me very sad
For if he were my uncle, then that also made him brother
Of the widow's grownup daughter, who was of course my step-mother

"Father's wife then had a son who kept them on the run
And he became my grandchild, for he was my daughter's son
My wife is now my mother's mother and it makes me blue
Because although she is my wife, she's my grandmother too

"Now if my wife is my grandmother, then I'm her grandchild
And every time I think of it, it nearly drives me wild
'Cause now I have become the strangest 'case you ever saw
As husband of my grandmother, I am my own grandpa

"I'm my own grandpa, I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny, I know but it really is so
I'm my own grandpa"

mausmarrow.com
Age 59 ex-smoker 1989
2010-11 21 cycles Vidaza

Hey Charm, Jr. - I'm sorry about your reaction to the Robinal and Zofran but hopefully that's better now. Ahhh the paperwork involved! I think every survivor needs a secretary (in addition to a patient advocate) to take care of all the bureaucratic complications! What you've had to deal with does sound like the "I'm My Own Grandpa" song. I remember it well. When you mentioned turning 65 this month, I thought of the Beatles' song, thinking it was "When I'm 65". It's actually "When I'm 64" but if you've already turned 65, I'm sure you don't look a day over 64 so here is a Happy Birthday song for you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2CISVP3ov4

Anne-Marie

KP5 Offline

Sheesh Charm. Hope this gets settled soon. I am not the least bit surprised that you are trying to see some humor in this. I would expect no less. That's why we love you!!
Hang in there you two!! Hope your belly is better.
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Dx 7/15/11
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

So let me get this straight....you are now "Old Frack Jr."??

Donna

OP Offline

Donna

As it turns out, only my new infusion supplier of feeding tubes is anal compulsive enough to require the Jr. All the doctors, the hospitals, pharmacies and even my insurance company just go by date of birth and don't use the suffix.
Of course, I named my son after myself also, so there is a Charm3 or Charm III
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Oh Lord - Save us all - a Charm III (or version Charm 3.0)...LOL

Hugs

Donna

OP Offline

Well many of you may have been wondering why in the world it was taking so long for my doctors to tell me if they could treat my third time recurrence. After that August consultation, nothing.
I heard nothing until September 21st.
Today my Blue Cross Blue Shield bills provided the answer.
Between my RO and the team of radiation physicists at my CCC, from the period of September 6 until September 21, "dates of services", I was billed under the general category: Radiation Therapy 10 times for a whopping total of $21017.79 or Twenty One Thousand , Seventeen dollars and seventy nine cents. Mind you, this does NOT include even one Cyberknife radiation treatment which I still have not been billed for, nor the Petscan. Bear in mind that about 5 Thousand was for Sept 21st when I was taking my wife shopping in NYC at the Garment District. I was never even in the hospital any of the dates billed except two for visits. My insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield took one look at it and laughed out loud and said, Right, you mean $6882.32 or Six Thousand Eight Hundred Eighty Two dollars and thirty two cents
That way "all" I have to pay out of pocket is $1,032.36 or One Thousand Thirty Two dollars and thirty six cents.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm in better shape than 75% of all US Americans insurance wise, but it looks like another year of our old big CRT TV instead of a flat screen.
Well, at least from these bills, looks like they were working hard on figuring out my treatment.
CherylD and Pandora (Donna); fine with me if your Canadian "socialist" health insurance pays for acupuncture and woo woo yet still comes in cheaper than the USA system
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 10-16-2012 04:44 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
OP Offline

Yeah! I just passed my first major milestone/marker in my recovery. Now I know I will make it.

Before I knew the cancer had come back, I had bought tickets back in July to see "Herman's Hermits Starring Peter Noone" (Younger readers may not remember this British invasion band that in 1964 and 1965 rivaled the Beatles in the USA, nor their 16 top hits:
1Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter
2.No Milk Today
3.End Of The World
4.This Door Swings Both Ways
5.Just A Little Bit Better
6.I'm Henry The 8th, I Am
7.There's A Kind Of Hush
8.Silhouettes
9.I'm Into Something Good
10.Can't You Hear My Heart Beat
11.Dandy
12.Wonderful World
13.Hold On
14.Listen People
15.Leaning On A Lampost
16.She's A Must To Avoid (Banned in Virgina since the DJ's mistook Peter's accent to be saying : She's a Muscular Boy)

As the weeks dragged on in September with my radiologist insisting that the physicists keep redoing their calculations on developing vectors for this cyberknife that would not lead to necrosis (something I did not realize until I demanded an explanation for all those bills in the post above for weeks of "radiation therapy" work when I wasn't even there) , we realized that the concert last night would be exactly one week after my last cyberknife and third chemo.
Should we sell the tickets ? (the show was sold out and Stub Hub was offering $290 for the same two tickets we'd paid $90)
But the Birchmere Music Hall is a classic venue where every seat lets you see the performer's face and gestures since it's so small. Yet each night this week I had been racing to the bathroom to vomit, then gag and then spit out huge bloody chunks of dissolving tumor and phlegm. I developed a game plan of taking two naps a day and doubling down on my Caphasol (thank you AnaD) and Ativan and Percocet.
It worked. My wife and I could sit and remember the happy go lucky days of our youth. Peter sang each of his top 16 hits plus did impressions of Mick Jagger, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, while telling funny stories about the Monkees and the Beatles.
there was no intermission just high energy fun.
Sitting in the dark, holding my wife's hand, we laughed and we cried (tears especially on End of the World with it's refrain
[quote]I wake up in the morning and I wonder Why everything's the same as it was. I can't understand, no I can't understand Why life goes on the way it does Why do the birds go on singing? Why do the stars shine above? Don't they know it's the end of the world
[/quote]which is how we felt in our hearts when we heard the cancer was back the third time. Instead, we left singing to ourselves, the lyrics to Wonderful World
[quote]But I do know that I love you
And I know that if you loved me too
What a wonderful world this would be
[/quote]
Keep the Faith
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

Great post Charm!

Yes, I remember Herman's Hermits and most of those songs. I�m glad you and your wife were able to enjoy a night out that brought back many happy memories � and memories to cherish in the future!

Keep the Faith!

{{{HUGS}}}

Susan

Ive been concerned about you! I know how bad it is recovering from the rads and you are doing it for a 3rd time so it must be even worse.

Im so glad you were able to put your recovery on hold for the evening and go out on the town with your lovely wife. I hope our evening out enabled you both to forget the present and just enjoy yourselves without worrying about anything else.

Best wishes with your continued recovery!

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years

What a wonderful evening for the two of you!! I'm so glad you and your wife were able to make the concert. I so remember those beautiful songs! I hope they are revisited and enjoyed by our younger generation. Charm - what a "Wonderful World" it is with you in it! Thanks for sharing your hearts with us.

Anne-Marie

Love you brotha, thinking about you my friend

Best Wishes to you Charm! Concert sounded like a lot of fun. Would have been a good one to catch for sure!

Take care, positive thoughts & prayers your way,
Steve

SCC right side BOT/FOM; DX 1-25-06; Neck dissection/25% of tongue removed 2-17-06. Stage 2 Recurrence 7-06: IMRTX35 & 3X Cisplatin ended 10-18-06. Tumor found 03/18/13; Partial Glossectomy 03/28/13 left lateral tongue. Nov. 2014; headaches,lump on left side of throat. Radical Neck Dissection 12-17-14; Tumor into nerves/jugular; Surgery successful, IMRTX30 & 7X Erbotux. Scan 06-03-15; NED! 06-02-16; Mets to left Humerus bone and lesion on lungs-here We go again! Never, Ever Give Up!

**** PASSED AWAY 10/8/16 ****

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

I owned a bost dealership in the late 80's and we sponsored a concert headlining him. We went bar hoping after the concert and he's a prince of a guy and very easy to talk to and get to know.

David

I love Herman's Hermits! Wonderful that you and your wife were able to have a slice of normalcy/fun in this otherwise messed up time. Karen

mausmarrow.com
Age 59 ex-smoker 1989
2010-11 21 cycles Vidaza

Very glad the Caphasol has been of some help Charm. So glad you and the Mrs. had a wondeful evening...those days or normalcy are so few and far between when in the trenches. Those are some really great songs you mentioned. It's amazing how powerful music can be, especially when you're dealing with this beast. A

P. S. During our time in U of C, there were a couple of musicians (guitar and cello) who came in once a week to play for the patients...this was their music ministry. The were very good and could play anything. We found that music took on an extra special meaning when you're sitting next to an IV pole of 5FU and listening between rads. That said, one week, a patient took over the guitar, starting singing a gospel song, something we would have ordinarily loved, however listening to him sing about waiting for his loved one on the other side of the shore was just too much for all of us.

P.S.S. You are now in the same catagory as Eric for making me cry this morning...keeping my eye on you!

wife/caregiver to Vince, dx 4/12 Stage IV BOT HPV+ SCC, poorly diff.; T4N2cMo; U of C; Clinical trial, Everolimus; 6 wks ind. chemo (Cetuximab, Cisplatin & Taxol), 50 x IMRT, 75 gy chemorad w/5FU, Hydrea & Taxol; 5 years out, thankfully still NED
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

You brought back wonderful memories for me Charm. I know all the songs. Peter Noone is bi-polar I (the really crazy kind), and I admire him so much for dealing with the disorder.
During my SCC treatment and subsequent behaviour, the Neurologist referred me to the psychological counseling program. I was diagnosed with bi-polar II (the less crazy kind).
Before all this, I thought that dying of cancer would be better than living with depression, but I digress.

Your eloquent words bring hope and wonderment. Thank you.

Pain late 2009. Dx as change in altitude. Sore spot on tongue late 2010. Dx as irritation.
Leukoplakia Bx Feb 2011 - Lichen Planus.
Bx May 2011 - Hyperplasia. Same sample retested as SCC.
June 2011 Rt Hemigloss,ND,rff,33 Rads. Hosp for 15 days w/bi-lateral pneumonia.
T3N1M0 Stage IV.
KP5 Offline

So glad you had a night out Charm. Sounds like it was a great date night!!

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Dx 7/15/11

Charm, so sorry to hear about this. I just finished 36 radiation treatments and 7 chemo treatments and I thought that was rough. I logged on to find out about the recurrence of HPV 16 + and I guess this isn't what I was hoping for at all. When I first joined this site I had no idea what all that stuff at the bottom of everyone's profile meant and now I understand most all most all of it. I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless.

BOT right side to the midline also some SCC in lymph nodes on both sides of neck/IMRT 36X 7 chemo treatments with Carboplatin. I received this type because I had previous hearing loss or so that's what I was told. HPV 16+
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Haven't seen you around for a couple of days Charm. Just wanted to let you know your presence and wisdom is missed. I hope you are maintaining your recovery schedule and we will hear from you when you feel up to it. Sending good vibes and prayers for quick healing your way.

Hugs

Donna

What Donna said. Love you brotha

KP5 Offline

Me too! Miss you.

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Dx 7/15/11
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

THinking about you and hoping all is well. smile hugs...

OP Offline

Today I got my two month checkup after radiation and the good news was that there is no visual sign of the third tumor. The mucositis has mostly healed, the thrush is gone, but now the mucous is really sticky. So much so that my ENT ordered a suction machine for me. I used one back in 2009 for eight months because of the volume of the mucous, but this time it's because the mucous is so sticky, like melted glue that even seltzer water doesn't faze it.
I'm hoping this will work as it's getting tiresome (literally) to be waking up multiple times in the night choking.
No scans until the three month mark, mid January, and my ENT agrees with me that a MRI is more accurate than a Petscan - no false positives just because normal mouth cells regenerating can suck up sugar as fast as a tumor.

Last edited by Charm2017; 12-11-2012 01:39 PM. Reason: typos

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

Charm, Ive been watching for an update about your recovery. I knew there had to be one sooner or later. Also knew you must be feeling better as I see you posting more frequently. So glad to hear you are recovering so quickly.

Sorry to hear about the darn mucous! That really stinks but its a temporary issue. Can you try using a water pik on the lowest setting to help get the gunk out of your mouth? Its worth a try, maybe it would work. If you have prescription mouthwash like peridex, dilute it 3 or 4 parts water to 1 part of mouthwash so it wont burn your sensitive mouth. Or maybe try diluted biotene or seltzer water like you used before. Hope this phase goes by quickly!!!

Keeping you in my thoughts! Be well buddy!!!

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Better the mucous than perhaps the alternative! From where you started this thread I think this news is FANTASTIC!!!!

So let's stick with THIRD TIMES A CHARM!

David

Very glad to see your update. You are one tough dude!
Maria

Great news, Charm! You certainly have been through a tough time. I sure hope that you get some relief soon from that sticky mucus. Here's wishing that the suction machine can clear a lot of it out and you can get a good night's sleep. Sending you hugs!

My best�
Anita

Anita (68)
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Charm, that is such good news. The mucous sounds ghastly, especially as it's so badly affecting your sleep. I hope you can get on top of it quickly and get some decent rest. Best wishes, Linda

Brother 49yo DX 22/6/11 Tonsil SCC HPV+ Stage IV T4N1(?)M0. Carbo/docetaxel (Taxotere)19/7, 11/8 (with E-tux), 1/9; E-tux 11/8, 25/8, 15/9, 30/9, 14/10, 28/10; IMRT X 35 (70gy tumour;63gy nodes;56gy gen area) 19/9-4/11/11. Clear PET scan 1/2/12. 1 and 2 year post treatment checks good.
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Great news, Charm! Compared to other treatments a suction machine provided longer periods of relief from mucous sticking and taking over my mouth causing me to feel sick constantly. I hope the machine helps give you a much needed break.

Karen

Last edited by Karen Rose; 12-11-2012 08:13 PM.

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery

I'll have my post treatment scan after you in Febuary, but having a PET/CT instead. Good luck with the aspirator, which I have used in the hospital, but not at home.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

OP Offline

Thank you all for the supportive replies. I did not expect this third time to be as hard as it has turned out, although I am developing a healthy respect for the party line that going above 77 GY really does mean some serious damage with long lasting effects. Still, I will be home for Christmas instead of in a hospice as we first feared, so it's all good.
Keep the Faith
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

Charm: It's always good to see your posts that let us know how you are doing. You are a "Shining Example" of how we all should be when tackling the many set-backs you have had. I see you plugging away constantly helping "newbie's" when they post, and others who are asking for advice, and am amazed at the amount of time you spend helping them. And all the time, you are suffering with your own problems, but never complain. See, that's being a "Shining Example." I pray that one day you'll be free from all the crappy problems the treatments caused. I hate mucus also, and have been battling it for some time (5 years since my treatments), so know how nasty that stuff is, sticky or frothy, yuk! Keep updating us and hope you get relief soon.
julieann

Julieann

Charm,

I�ve been wondering how you were doing and was anxiously waiting for an update. The good news was worth the wait!

I hope the suction machine helps with the mucous. It is great that you will be home for Christmas to enjoy the holiday with your family and friends!

I agree with Julieann that you are a "Shining Example" of how to deal with the crap that is handed you at times � way too many times � and how you were still offering support and advice to newbies while dealing with you own issues.

I wish you the best!

Susan

Charm,
I have my first scan in the beginning of January. My team agreed that an MRI with contrast would give the most accurate picture, as well. I panic with MRIs, despite lots of meds. The only way I can get through it is to take meds and the let my husband come in and rub my legs during the scan. There's something calming about knowing that he is there and could "pull me out in a pinch". I know this sounds crazy, but that's me!

Best of luck with your scan. Let's cross the finish line together, holding hands!

Love ya,
Kerri

T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Wonderful to see you posting and recovering Charm, all be it with the sticky mucous issue.
A huge understatement when you say that you will be home for Christmas instead of hospice smile
Best wishes to both you and Kerri with the January MRI's.
Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

So glad your back in the swing of things... And that you'll be home for Christmas. That's awesome. Hugs dude!

"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"

You continue to be inspirational Charm.
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!

It is just so awesome to know how you are doing, Charm and Kerri! Best wishes for more good updates. You really are an inspiration to all of us!

Anne-Marie

OP Offline

Kerri

Great to see you posting again. You have had it so much harder than I. I am pleasantly surprised to read that your MRI place accommodates your husband to rub your legs during the scan. My CCC is pretty strict about nobody being in the room with me.

Crossing the finish line as winners together sounds like a great plan to me. We can do this.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
OP Offline

Wow: "Shining example" - I really appreciate that sentiment, as there are some people who would nod and say: yeah, Charm is just like Jack Nicholson in the Shining. cool although I would counter, right guy, wrong movie: try Easy Rider.
But let's give credit where credit is due: my wife, Bev.
Without her caregiving, love and support, I could not go on.
Today, she just finished changing out my AMT mini one Button (low profile G-tube ) in the comfort of our home with a new one. What a difference between her ministrations and the hospital hassle. My CCC trained her after I kept complaining, that since the beauty of the button is that it's customized for each patient, she can't put the button in too deep or too short unlike the dangling one length fits all tube.
I sometimes worry about scaring the newest members since we all know that fear of recurrence lurks in every cancer patient and caregiver so I keep this thread in the recurrence forum.
When I first joined OCF, I would not even read this forum lest I Jinx myself. Now, it's a real comfort. Plus many others like PaulB, Kelly211, etc are showing that radiation is no longer a one shot deal and there is hope even if the cancer does come back. Thank you all again
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13

Charm,

Not much to say but that I continue to marvel at your strength thru all this BS. I know you must have down times but for the most part, all I see is your fighting spirit.

I am so happy that your life partner and caregiver is there for you. Kudos to Bev for hanging in there thru all that has come your way.

I wish you peace tonight dear sir,

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
KP5 Offline

As I have said before Charm...You rock and we all love you!!!
Great to see Kerri too.
Merry Christmas Friends,
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Dx 7/15/11

Glad to see you doing well. You were always an inspiration to me. Sorry I have not posted much.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN