Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I'm eating alittle everyday and trying to cut down on the jevity one can at a time. I have 5 cans at nite and one at 2 in the afternoon. I eat about two eggs and glucerna around 11 am and one drumstick and a cup of broccli and cheese at five. I tried getting rid of two cans and lost two pounds. maybe two much at once. what do you think?

dx mucoideperdermoid stage 1 .9cm tumor removed from
lower left tongue 5-3-11 rad 5-31-11 till 8-10-11 three weeks off in june 9 days in hospital healing mouth from radiation burns. 33 days of radiation.wife is caregiver
peg tube july 7-11 age 59 male.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Patrick,

Just keep trying to eat solids as much as you can, maybe talk with a speech pathologist as they would be able to give you a better idea as everyone is going to be different. Patience is the key really so don't get frustrated.

Keep your chin up

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

When using a feeding tube, it can be a long process until you are doing well enough to get rid of it. I know all too well how uncomfortable they can be and how much work it takes. It is not fun having one of these. A person recovering from treatment of oral cancer can expect a long recovery. Its something that cant be rushed. The better your nutrition, the quicker you will recover. Do not be shocked if it takes you a year. In fact, many people need 2 full years to return to their previous lives and then they still can have limitations.

I would suggest talking with a nutritionist. I worked with a wonderful nutritionist at the hospital I was treated at. In fact, she still helps me and its 4 years since I finished my radiation treatments. Your body needs extra calories and protein to heal. The formulas are balanced so you get everything you need (some lack fiber). If you can push yourself to eat more food then you can cut back on the formula. But only do so with a doctor's or nutritionists help. Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I would actually suggest weaning yourself off using a drinkable nutrition... Try doing the breakfast lunch and dinner thing. Instead of the jevity find a nutrition supplement like ensure (similar calories etc...) add a little protein powder if you like. take it almost as a drink. have an egg in the morning and an ensure chaser... same with lunch something soft, soup? mashed veggies etc. with another ensure. if you are full after the eggs then sip on your ensure until you finish it, then start on the next, add in water to the day as well. that way you are not losing calories or protein but you are swallowing and training yourself back onto food. Supper the same thing. See how you do. whatever you don't manage to get in during the day supplement at night. So for example if you get in three ensure and some food, then drop three jevity at night. Diet is a number's game. Jevity can be high in calories. So if you are dropping one can, you need the equivalent in calories to replace it. If you can't finish the food - food then make sure you at least get the ensure in. that way you are getting adequate calories and the rest is just icing on the cake so to speak! ;o) good luck!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23