Posted By: patrick2128 how dose one ween themselves off the peg - 09-27-2011 02:38 PM
I'm eating alittle everyday and trying to cut down on the jevity one can at a time. I have 5 cans at nite and one at 2 in the afternoon. I eat about two eggs and glucerna around 11 am and one drumstick and a cup of broccli and cheese at five. I tried getting rid of two cans and lost two pounds. maybe two much at once. what do you think?
Posted By: EricS Re: how dose one ween themselves off the peg - 09-27-2011 03:06 PM
Patrick,

Just keep trying to eat solids as much as you can, maybe talk with a speech pathologist as they would be able to give you a better idea as everyone is going to be different. Patience is the key really so don't get frustrated.

Keep your chin up

Eric
Posted By: ChristineB Re: how dose one ween themselves off the peg - 09-27-2011 05:33 PM
When using a feeding tube, it can be a long process until you are doing well enough to get rid of it. I know all too well how uncomfortable they can be and how much work it takes. It is not fun having one of these. A person recovering from treatment of oral cancer can expect a long recovery. Its something that cant be rushed. The better your nutrition, the quicker you will recover. Do not be shocked if it takes you a year. In fact, many people need 2 full years to return to their previous lives and then they still can have limitations.

I would suggest talking with a nutritionist. I worked with a wonderful nutritionist at the hospital I was treated at. In fact, she still helps me and its 4 years since I finished my radiation treatments. Your body needs extra calories and protein to heal. The formulas are balanced so you get everything you need (some lack fiber). If you can push yourself to eat more food then you can cut back on the formula. But only do so with a doctor's or nutritionists help. Good luck!!!
Posted By: Cheryld Re: how dose one ween themselves off the peg - 09-27-2011 07:53 PM
I would actually suggest weaning yourself off using a drinkable nutrition... Try doing the breakfast lunch and dinner thing. Instead of the jevity find a nutrition supplement like ensure (similar calories etc...) add a little protein powder if you like. take it almost as a drink. have an egg in the morning and an ensure chaser... same with lunch something soft, soup? mashed veggies etc. with another ensure. if you are full after the eggs then sip on your ensure until you finish it, then start on the next, add in water to the day as well. that way you are not losing calories or protein but you are swallowing and training yourself back onto food. Supper the same thing. See how you do. whatever you don't manage to get in during the day supplement at night. So for example if you get in three ensure and some food, then drop three jevity at night. Diet is a number's game. Jevity can be high in calories. So if you are dropping one can, you need the equivalent in calories to replace it. If you can't finish the food - food then make sure you at least get the ensure in. that way you are getting adequate calories and the rest is just icing on the cake so to speak! ;o) good luck!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum