Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13285 04-15-2002 06:37 PM
Brooke Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi....just a quick note to thank Brian......we have corresponded in email a few times on AOL regarding my mother. This website is amazing, Brian.....it's such a wonderful thing you have put together!! I would be so lost throughout this ordeal if it weren't for the support of these "friendly strangers" on the internet! It's so great to know I can look here for answers, support, or just a place to vent!! Thanks again.....God Bless you all!!!!!

Hope is the one thing no one can take away from you!!!
#13286 04-15-2002 07:18 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Thank you for the kind words...while it has been a lot of work to write and build the framework that is this website, the real credit goes to all those who come here to populate this little community. With all the negatives that cancer brings, I am constantly buoyed by the generosity and caring of those who come here, and take the time to share their ideas, to offer help to strangers, and to inspire all of us with their words of support. What an amazing group of individuals.

While providing an important support function, the website can become a catalyst for positive change. I hope that in the near future we can all band together as a group to become activists in changing the nature of oral cancer. We can pull this disease down from its undeserved high ranking as a killer, by bringing it into the forefront of the public consciousness. An aware American public will think of an annual screening for this disease in the same light as they do a PAP smear for cervical cancer, a mammogram, or a PSA test for prostate cancer. Early detection will save lives. But we need to get those who are most likely to catch it early, aggressively looking for it as well. Has anyone besides me noticed the absence of the dental profession on our site? In the near future I hope that we can have our collective voices heard to change a situation which has not improved in 5 decades, in spite of a simple, inexpensive, means to do so.

In the meantime, thank you being part of the OCF community... and for caring.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23