Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

My three chemo treatments each lasted about three hours. It didn't hurt or anything. Luckily I like to read.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

After reading your post just now. mine could have lasted the 3 hrs but when you doze. time flies. LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

well you are in for an E ticket ride! I had a port a cath so I always had a tube for daily IV's. It was Chemo once a week and fluid et al on the other 4 days. Generaly took 90 min. I was lucky, minimal sides and angels for nurses. Radiation was different. easy treatment but very hard sides, they cooked me raw! I had 40 days over a wide area, quite chalanging! But once again, angels for tech and helped me so much!
It is a tough treatment, you will make it and kick ass on cancer!

Steve

Last edited by tristeve; 05-11-2010 08:32 PM.

70 male, athlete...again
SSC of undetermined orgin , early july 09
40 tx radiation, 8 chemo cisplatin and ebuterx
finished TX in mid Sept 09
Clear at the 6 year mark!
Back to swimming, biking and running! just a tad slower
never regained my weight, even when I eat lots and lots, just a skinny guy now

Just way glad to be seeing the green side up!

I had angels for nurses as well. My doctors were awesome, too. I have heard so many horror stories about how cancer patients have been treated, I am so relieved that my experience was as positive as it was. (As positive as anything can be when you have oral cancer.) Any of you who are in Northern Ohio, I can't say enough good things about the North Coast Cancer Care Center!

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Some of these treatments can really vary from person to person. I can't speak to Chemo, but I drove myself to to radiation every day (45 minutes one-way) except when friends volunteered (I encouraged that both to make things easier on myself, and also to get them involved in the process). Others I know were able to work during radiation (No way for me! Glad I was retired!) while still others had to take sick time for the process.

I was also able to drink a lot of water and take my meds orally, but used the PEG for formula feeding.

Age 67 1/2
Ventral Tongue SCC T2N0M0G1 10/05
Anterior Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 6/08
Base of Tongue SCC T2N0M0G2 12/08
Three partial glossectomy (10/05,11/05,6/08), PEG, 37 XRT 66.6 Gy 1/06
Neck dissection, trach, PEG & forearm free flap (6/08)
Total glossectomy, trach, PEG & thigh free flap (12/08)
On August 21, 2010 at 9:20 am, Pete went off to play with the ratties in the sky.

Amazing how neither the actual radiation treatment nor the chemo "feel" like anything. If it'd weren't for the all the trimmings ( for radiation+ mesh mask, hard lead table, weird noises from the machine; for chemo: IV drips, beeping pumps, two hours in a chair) you would not even know you are getting treatment,

the kicker is in the after effects. for me both the actual radiation and chemo were totally painless and that's for both times. and you will definitely bounce back although not right after the TX ends. Radiation is the gift that keeps on giving.
My advice is don't worry but get yourself a TSH blood test now before TX Turns out however there is controversy over what is the right TSH level with labs having a 5.5, a 4.5 even though endocrinologists who went to Medical school the 21st Century consider 3.0 as the highest acceptable level. Before TX, I had a TSH of 1.6 and after TX it shot up to 4.3.
But without a pre TX baseline, you will have trouble getting TX if you need it. Lots of people never have any thryoid damage and they really try and zap the radiation beams around it. But better safe than sorry
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Hey Everyone, Today was my last radiation treatment ! 8 weeks down the hole. I can honestly say that compared to what I had expected to experience and what I actually did, it was a pleasant surprise. I am one of the very very lucky one's that have breezed through this. No weight loss, no PEG. I have continued to eat pretty much what I wanted only much slower and drinking lots of liquids. I found that sweet things would go down a lot easier, LOL. I have read the posts on this forum and cringed at how much suffering some people endure. It has made me realize everyday how fortunate I am. I know that I am not out of the woods and hoping that it does not come back. It has helped to read all the posts and to know that there is such a supportive group available, basically 24/7. Thank to all. I will continue to stay in touch.

58 yrs Female
Vocal cord cancer T1NOMO
DX 3/05/10
Started TX 3/18/10 with IMRT 39 total treatments
Smoker- quit at DX No PEG

Yes, that's what we like to see here on OCF. Good endings and smooth sailings. Congratulations. and thanks for taking the time to share that's it's not always so bad. (And even when it is bad, you can still recover to a good life)
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

I have never had a Dr or Nurse that I didn't get along with and make them laugh. I still get hugs from all of the nurses and a big handshake from the Drs with a wisecrack included. LOL

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Well, I'm a lucky, lucky girl! I met with the Chemo Oncologist and the Radiation Oncologist the 11th and 12th. I will not be needing either treatments. Phew! Pathology examined my tumor and stated that the margins around my cancer was 1 cm. My surgeon removed more than enough. My PET scan showed that the cancer had not spread to any lymph nodes. Also, the Radiation Oncologist informed me that my cancer was Stage 1. I'm so new to all of this, so forgive me if what I'm writing is like "no duhh!" stuff. Now I will meet with my ENT Doctor once a month to get checked up. I'm a thankful lady, that's for sure!

I have been training for a marathon during all of this and I will be running one on Sunday! Thanks so much for all of your advice and kindness!

Cancer found on left bottom portion of my tongue on March 9th. Non-smoker and light drinker. Tumor removed March 30th. Stage 1. No chemo. No radiation.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users