Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
sharlee Offline OP
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Hello all !!

I want to share some good news with you ...1st the bad though . My dentist checked my lesion today and he also used the velscope and it seems as though I will be having another biopsy. But I am OK..Cus I had a really good day otherwise !!!

OK I know I mentioned that I wanted to get a booth at the county fair to promote Oral cancer awareness. SO I called today and it is $260 for a week...That is inside electricty and everything ..so I was going to do it. Then I got in touch with an organization called "Reality Check" ( the are against tobacco companies) and Guess what .They have a large booth and would love to have me and all my ideas JOIN THEM !!!!!

Works for me in alot of ways
1. I wont have to man it for 12-13 hours a day alone ..( They said if I cant they will handle it)

2. They are well know ( and sponsoring lazer tag !!)
3. NO COST TO ME !

4. They have offered to pay for my whole family to attend fair every day if I want !! ( no gonna happen ..LOL )

SO I AM EXCITED !!! I am working on trying to get dentist to do free oral cancer screenings ( Reality Check said use their name too !) And I am trying to get a few things Donated to raffle of and proceeds with be sent to OCF , as well as donation Jar ! I am going to contact Biotene and see if they would like to have some sample there. Brian is sending me more brochures, I am checkin into gettin those bracelets. I make lolipops and thought about writting somthing like " Suck on these and save your life ...tobacco free !! " We are seeing if we can get some kind of awareness shirts Donated to sell or give out to the 1st however many people.

I want to do a display board of important facts !! So I need you all to let me know the ones you think we should get out there !!!

And last but not least.. I would love to put a face to this disease. If anyone would like to send a photo & story ..or even just one or the other ..I want to make a display of that as well !!!

This thing is going to last for 7 days ......Some one is going to see this and it is going to make a difference...that is how I am making it through today !!!

All other ideas are sooooo welcome !!!! you can post them .pm them email them ..call me whatever !!! And I havent forgot the reunion I am working on that too !!!!

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Shar, what energy you have! And, how great you are to want to share all of this info to educate! Congratulations on your eagerness and dedication!
I'm not glad you have to have a biopsy, but I had been concerned with ya over it, so better to get it cheked and know it is a neuroma. Linda

Jordan's Mom. Linda
She fought the fight with courage, hope and dedication. Ten months of battling tongue cancer. They thought they had it after each treatment. Not to be. Christa died at 32 y/o in Nov. '07.
sharlee Offline OP
OP Offline

Well the lump on my jaw is neuroma...I have a lesion on the right side of my tongue and they said that needs to be biopsied !

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Shar,

Congrats! From your previous posts I know this is far more than you were expecting or hoping for.

Sorry about your upcoming biopsy. Sending good thoughts your way.

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.

Sharlee,
Though I'm not a very frequent visitor to OCF site (these days) - I remember from your posts that your cancer was caught as T1N0M0 (the earliest stage). You underwent surgery but as I understand, you did not get the RT. Was there a reason for not prescribing RT by your consulting oncologist? (Please take care to *correct* me if I've misinterpreted).

I'm asking because my mother has a case very similar to yours but the doctors here *strictly* wanted her to undergo the RT without any second thoughts. I'm sure that the pain & other complications which a patient undergoes during/after RT is unimaginable... but is that the only reason it is not prescribed?

From the discussions I had with the oncologists here, I must say that RT shall be considered imperative whatever be the stage of cancer is (*not* precancerous - TisN0M0).

Any thoughts?

Arvind Saigal

CG to Mother (Bala Saigal/55/SCC, G1, T1N0M0, RT x 33 completed - 27/06/2007 | Presently recovering from the severe after-effects)

Shar....good for you!! What a go-getter you are! You really follow through when you put your mind to something. I'm proud of you.

I'll send you a picture if you like.....when is this going to take place?

You might put a wastebasket there and invite people to trash their tobacco.

Please keep us posted! You go, girl!

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Wow, Sharlee! You are really something special!! You sure do get things done in a hurry! How about some pics from "Outdoor Texan": http://www.outdoortexan.com./mycancer.htm
I'm going to see about getting some pics from my son, too.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Shar,

I will email you an article I wrote about the importance of early detection. I will include a photo.

Feel free to use it if you think it will help you with your latest project.

Your energy and enthusiasm is apparently boundless. Don't know how you do it, but keep up the good work.

As I said in my PM to you, good luck with the biopsy.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
sharlee Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for all of you and all of your support ..this is such an important thing for me and I love doing these kinds of things !!! making a difference and educating people ..I Need to get a JOb doing it ..LOL. I love coming up with new Ideas and interesting ways to show people and make a difference!!! I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT ALL OF THIS !!!! I CANT BELIEVE I HAVE 7 WHOLE DAYS TO SPREAD THE WORD !!!! I may actaully make a difference to ONE PERSON !!!!

I dont even know where I find the energy some days Jerry ..with the 5 kids and all...Actaully I think I find it in them ..to help someone else MOMMMY Or DADDY ..

I have my biopsy on thurs and to be honest I am PARANIOD !! not so much the fact about the cancer but being awake during it ...see my 1st one I was asleep because the took quite a bit .. Oh well !!!

Anyone who has any ideas about fundrasiers displays or wants to share their stories or photos for display ..please let me know ..you can email me or I can send you my mailing address ..The Fair runs August 28th-Sept 3rd.
You can check out the website it is
WWW.fondafair.com
and Reality Check is who I am going in with ...So now I am busy working on all the dentist !!! hheheehehe

Sharlee
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Sharlee - please be patient with the message board... every time you re hit the add reply button, it remembers and it puts additional versions of the post up. I just took down two extras of your last post.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23