Traci

I know its hard right now. Please let your husbands doctors know about him not having any nutrition for days. This will make the whole process so much more difficult on his body. Without proper nutrition he will not be able to heal. Its not just losing weight, its being able to get energy from a balanced diet. Im sure he must feel terrible and with no nutrition going in, it only makes him feel worse. This is coming from experience and I had a PEG tube. I still was admitted to the hospital for malnutrition and dehydration. Tell the doctors right away! At the end, I was ready to quit too, but he cant. he went this far to give up now. The nurses can help you with this if you tell them how things are.

As far as a fight goes, Im sure you are exhausted from the whole process but dont back down. Your husband will not be able to heal properly if he doesnt turn around immediately and help himself. Dont let something like fear of an argument make you back down. Ask the doc for something called 'magic mouthwash", it will numb his mouth. Try giving him Carnation instant breakfast or even yoo-hoo just something to give him vitamins. I drank alot of yoo-hoo since its so thin, it was easier, but I had the liquid feeding solution for my PEG tube to depend on.

Best of luck with this difficult situation.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma