FNA = Fine Needle Aspiration. As sample is taken of the suspect area by a needle, not unlike one used for blood collection.

For those in the Nor Cal area, there is a world-class "Walk-In FNA Clinic" on Divisidero St & Sutter, at UCSF Cancer Center.

Some of the best FNA people train here, and they take patients on a walk-in (no appt) necessary basis.

They are real pros and did mine in 2 minutes. The other 3 ENTs I had been to over the prior 6 weeks kept missing the nodes and in-fact one hit a vessel and I ended in the ER.

In any case, no one likes to process of discovering one has cancer, but if you need one, an FNA is the easier of the types of biopsies out there, but not applicable for all cases I presume.

Incidentally, there have been some studies done on the "spreading" of cancer cells by FNA's and other biopsy efforts. Might be interesting reading.

The final FNA I had was without any anesthesia, and actually was the best. Others had shot me with anesthetic, which frankly hurt more than the extraction and was an unnecessary step which added risk of infection, spreading the cells (if this is plausible), etc

IMHO, I think, my 2nd FNA, the one where he hit a vein, actually spread the cancer to an adjacent node.

The Dr was shaking doing the procedures and took 5 stabs at my neck -- UUgh! It was hell... This was after two shots of anesthetic.

The last one was like something out of movie, blood, and a PULSATING stab wound on my neck that was visible in a mirror.

You could actually SEE my heart beat in the bulb it created under the skin.

Ok, sorry to be so gross, and I'm not trying to freak anyone out about having the procedure.

Honestly, in general these go off without a hitch and should NOT be avoided simply because of the fear of something going wrong or of a cancer diagnosis.

The sooner you know, the sooner you can start to deal with it.

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.