hwebster,
I agree with Jerry with regard to your mom a biopsy is the gold standard and will definatly diagnose the lesion.
As for your situation; FYI "that funny little nub on your ear near your face" is anatomically known as the "tragus" fancy name for a nub but hey it needs its credit. A lump and/or swelling in front of this area could be the result of many things. There is a major vascular bundle (artery, vein, nerve and lymphatics) under the skin in this area. Swelling and hard or swollen nodes could be the result of many different inflammations and/or infections involving your scalp (an infected hair follicle or ingrown hair), ear (infected piercing), ear (outer or inner ear infection), eye (conjunctivitis or pink eye), sinus (cold or sinus infection), and skin (pimple)to name a few. You need to see an ENT.
The CT should allow your Docs to narrow down the list and zero in on a diagnosis.
I know that the mental game is a rough one but, as we say here it's not cancer until they say it's cancer and stop smoking already.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mother.
I hope good news comes to you both.
If I can answer any questions please contact me.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.