My Mom, who has never smoked and hardly drinks more than a little red wine now and then, has a splotch. Lacking a better description, it is a pinkish-whiteish flat mark on the soft palate of the left side of her mouth. About 8mm x 12mm

It is not painful. It doesn't seem to be growing. Here's the problem. She's had it for MONTHS now!

She's been to her regular Dentist who did the not so perfectly diagnostic swish thing. She went to an ENT who said he was "nearly sure" it wasn't cancer and scheduled a follow-up for DECEMBER !!

Now, she is not sleeping. Not eating. Not happy. She is miserable and crippled by fear.

I am sure seeing her son nearly eat-it with Stage IV SCC doesn't help keep it in perspective, and I am honestly starting to worry.

Maybe this ENT is wrong..? it could happen.

She's my best friend in my life. She is 64 and not as young as she used to be. (Otherwise very healthy though, doesn't abuse herself, she is normal weight, etc)

She needs to get a 2nd opinion at the least. I am over 400 miles away.

I don't want her to waste any more time figuring out who to see. Where to go.

I know most of the very knowledgeable cancer ENTs are not interested in diagnosing. Seems to me they prefer to get patients AFTER they have been definitely diagnosed by their GP, etc.

The good news is, unlike me, she lives in civilization. South Orange County (Brian?) to be more precise. Ok, ok, Laguna Niguel. You forced it out of me.

Since she is in So Cal there must be someone she can go to rather than picking up the Yellow Pages (Does ANYONE really use those phone books anymore?)

Any suggestions would be greatefully appreciated!

Michael | 53 | SCC | Right Tonsil | Dx'd: 06-10-05 | STAGE IV, T3N2bM0 | 3 Nodes R Side | MRND & Tonsillectomy 06/29/05 Dr Fee/Stanford | 8 wks Rad/Chemo startd August 15th @ MSKCC, NY | Tx Ended: 09-27-05 | Cancer free at 16+ Yrs | After-Effects of Tx: Thyroid function is 0, ok salivary function, tinnitus, some scars, neck/face asymmetry, gastric reflux. 2017 dysphagia, L Carotid stent / 2019, R Carotid occluded not eligible for stent.2022 dental issues, possible ORN, memory/recall challenges.