John:

Im so sorry to hear of your latest ordeal. Its such a rotten feeling thinking that the cancer is back. Remember only a biopsy will tell for sure if it is cancer again. Luckily you have a team of doctors ready to help take care of this. If it is cancer, then it has been caught very early this time.

Ive been thru this awful feeling too. What helped me get thru my recurrance was knowing I did it once and I could do it again. My second round made me angry, I was tired of not feeling well and people treating me differently. I was never one who thought 'why me', I always thought ok I have cancer lets fix it and move on.

When I had cancer the first time it was located in two different places in my mouth. My cheek had a sore for at least 6 months and behind my molar had a spot for about 2 months before I was officially diagnosed. That cancer could have been there for months before it showed itself. I rationalized it with knwoing I had a clear pet scan then 3 months later cancer showed up, this told me it was caught very very early for a recurrance.

Please try to find some comfort in knowing that it has been found early, that is IF it is cancer. You are still trying to recover from going thru treatments and your body is changing trying to heal. If it does turn out to be cancer then its early. Im hoping its nothing, but if it is back, you know there is support just a quick post away to help you thru it.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma