Brian,

Can we create a list with approximate costs for different treatments?

IMRT
PET/CT
PORT
PEG
etc

The idea is not necessarily to go shopping but to be informed. It is unlikely that if you need a port that you would say .... you want how much for this?? No thank you!
I was totally floored how much Tenet attempted to charge for the port. Note, the surgeon only gets a fraction of this, he was also rather intrigued by this. I was also surprised how much extra charges were accrued by the HBO treatment which was supposed to be covered by my insurance. Interestingly, they (same company) attempt to charge $345 for the 5 min the physician spent to check my ears. This turned out to be not required in the end. Even more interesting there were different physicians involved who were a) a lot cheaper and b) whose staff were apparently able to properly fill out an insurance claim. There were also rather significant differences in the PET/CT. Trailer, old equipment, Tech who get the date wrong and no head rest (for a head PET/CT) vs newer equipment, competent staff, nice facility at half the price..... nevertheless you have to convince the insurance company that the latter makes more sense. Before I come across at too negative I have to give credit to my insurance company which was accommodating... once you take action.

M

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.