Hello everyone,
Mom had another round of chemo on Friday. They sent us home with the 5fu pump again. The doctor acted like her initial reaction was because of anxiety. I know my mother and it wasn't. That didn't sit well with her. That statement was followed by him telling her she was going to have to do 3 more rounds of treatment. I wish you all could have been there to see how mad she was about it. We were initially told it would only be 3. We are at least getting a scan done in 2 weeks to see if this awful stuff is doing it's job.

After we got home mom was okay until the third morning of having the pump on (just like last time). My 10 year old niece woke her up in the middle of the night saying she was making scary noises in her sleep. She came and woke me up and sure enough she was having the same shortness of breath as she did the first time. We rushed to the ER and after a shot of some steroids to stop the swelling in her throat and oxygen she was feeling a little better. They gave her a dose of potassium because the doc said it was low but it didn't sit well. Just was the nurse left the room she started to throw it up. She has been having problems with very thick mucus phlegm. She was throwing that up as well and some of it lodged in her throat. She couldn't breathe and was panicked. I got the nurse because he was outside of the door and he just looked at her and yelled �what do you want me to do?� I yelled right back that she doesn�t know what she needs but she can�t breathe. He got the doc quick after that. Jerk. He�s almost always there when we go to the ER and he is always an impatient jerk. Mom was really upset and scared after that. Eventually I brought her home and she was feeling better. Am I expecting too much from the medical staff? I don�t think it is unreasonable to doctors and nurses especially to show a little compassion. She is obviously scared and it�s like they forget they are working with humans, always so rough. If mom says something was real and wasn�t anxiety I think the doc should give her the benefit of the doubt. He doesn�t know her he has seen her for maybe 45 mins total since he started treating her.

She got neulasta shot and fluids today so she is having awful bone pain. I�m thankful that there is a shot to keep her white blood cells up I just wish it didn�t make her hurt even more for a few days. You guys know how stubborn she is about taking pain meds. She said the other day �I bet Jerry on the board would be pissed I wasn�t taking any meds right now.� I have convinced her to at least take half doses to stay ahead of the pain.

Nellie�Mom loves your cards. They are on the mantle and on her end table by her chair. I hope you know how much they have lifted her spirits.

Mom misses all of you and always tells me to look on the site to check on everyone.

You are all awesome!
With Love,
Amy

Last edited by Amymcca; 07-14-2008 05:19 PM.

Lost my mother, Minnie, to Oral Cancer October 29th, 2008. I am so thankful she had the OCF to help her through her five year struggle.