Liz, you go, girl!!! If you have to educate your own advocate, then so be it!

I, too, was misdiagnosed for EIGHT months. I thought about filing a suit, but since my own husband is a physician, I somehow was hesitant.

By the time it was clear to me that my dentist was, indeed, inadequately trained to recognize cancer even when it was large and classical (he diagnosed it as periodontal disease and cauterized it twice, without reading his own notes, and without once considering that it might be cancer. ) For that reason, my surgery was much more destructive than it might have been, including the necessity for a neck dissection, which caused its own grief.

Another argument, which of course is an element of your own argument, is that since my cancer had been allowed to grow undisturbed for so long, the chances for not only spread in situ but for metastasis was much greater.

My statute of limitations was one year, and I missed that date. I decided after that that I did indeed have a case and that I should file it, but it was too late.

If I have further problems, such as proveable metastasis or shortened lifespan, then perhaps my case will be different and I could file then, under a new time frame.

Last edited by August; 07-02-2008 09:46 AM.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!