Hi Frank,

I am very sorry that you have to fight this battle, but I am thrilled that you are in such a great treatment center! Above all, I would say to be sure to ask ALL of the questions you have and get answers that you understand. If you have to ask a question a few different ways before your docs' responses sink in, just do it. The docs and you are a solid team, working together all for the same outcome: your best possible health!! Please don't be at all intimidated or shy about getting the answers you need to establish real trust and understanding about your situation and the process. I looked at the Q & A as a teambuilding exercise. It sounds like you're digesting your options pretty well, which is wonderful. Your teammates are people who you will never forget, with whom you will have a relationship like no other in your life!

Seems to me that the timeline is pretty consistent with those of us in the HPV 16 crowd. Before considering surgery, my docs treatment plan was 35 doses of daily IMRT (weekends off, thank goodness!) and chemo of cisplatin and experimental use of oral Tarceva . My medical team's concensus was that 5FU was not in the patients' best interest, but that doesn't mean the same is true for you. Personally I concur with your "leaning" and am so glad that you're getting a solid grip on the situation. Trust your team, which very importantly includes you as a fully participating member!

Congratulations on your strength and positive attitude! Do you have a solid support team to help you at home? How's your teenager doing with this? You're providing an example of what's most important in life, that's for sure! There's no doubt that you are going to feel HORRIBLE sometimes, but you can safely assure your son that you just have to go through this hell and it's only temporary.

Please keep us posted and know that this entire community is rooting for you!!

All the very best,
Carol

Non-smoker non-drinker, 50 when diagnosed 9/11/06 stage IV scc of oropharnyx, malignant lymph nodes both sides of neck. Cause=HPV16. Daily chemo & daily IMRT for 7 weeks. In 2 clinical trials at Johns Hopkins, good results. Peg tube out March 07. Update September 2014: gratefully in good health!