Frank,

Moffitt told me before they knew I tested + for HPV that due to everything they did know about me that they didn't recommend a ND and wanted to get started on the chemo/rad ASAP. About 1 year post Tx my RO told me that had he known I was HPV + when he treated me and I assume what he had learned about HPV in the interim, that he may not have treated me as aggressively as he did. I still haven't had the chance to follow up on that comment but I'm not sure I would want to be the ginnea pig until studies have conclusively proven a different less aggressive Tx alternative for certain HPV+ patients. I just see far too many variables in this equation to be able for science to one day do that and besides I'm alive and pretty much side effect free and that would be the goal of any alternative Tx plan.

Stick with what's proven and you won't be looking over your shoulders forever.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.