Connie, you did say something that I will emphasize:

"I am tired of accompanying him to doctor's appointments and being left uninformed and somewhat scared each time by off-the-wall comments they often make."

This is a common reality and one that we probably have (or will have) suffered. That doctors are prone to comments that leave the patient wondering or in fear for no reason. Doctors should realize that the slightest facial expression can change a sincere "you are doing great" to "I think he saw something and he just isn't telling me yet" reaction. Knowing other people have been there and done that has been a great comfort to me. Being aware and educated is always of value when working with caregivers.

Back to statistics for a moment; if you are here on this site because you have this cancer, you already are outside the statistics because this is a fairly rare cancer. Further, if you are age 50 or younger and have this cancer you again are outside the statistics. If you are here and didn't use tobacco or alcohol, you are outside the statistics. If you are here with a HPV positive tumor, you are outside the statistics.

My point (I'll try to make a clear point) is that statistics did not protect you or me from getting this cancer! Neither will any statistic cure me. The numbers simply do not matter to me the patient/survivor.

Frankly, statistics do not matter to anyone coming here with a new diagnosis either!

Damn the statistics and full speed ahead!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.