I fully agree with Amy. I think there is no place for "tough love"...after all, it's not like she is misbehaving.
Gary, thanks for the reminder of one month of recovery for each week of treatment. Would you happen to know how to assess that for brachetherapy? I think my mom is going to get 4+ wks of radiation in 3.5 days.
Amy B--
you are doing a wonderful job, no matter how you may not think so at times. Being in a reverse position, caring for mother when you are the child, is hard. It's confusing at times-how much can we push? how do we define the lines for what is acceptable? My mom is my best friend too. Seeing her broken, well, it hurts. I think we both need to focus on the person we really know them to be. Somewhere deep inside this person we are currently looking at is our mothers. Believe in her, even when she can't. I think that helps my mom most.

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.