Jerry to answer your question- I had surgery and radiation. Me and my ENT agreed on radiation to be aggressive due to my age (34) and I didn't smoke or drink much. Plus my mom had tongue cancer about the same age as me about 20 years ago but hers was more aggressive and spread even after they thought they removed it from her tongue. I think if I didn't have radiation the chances of a recurrence would have been greater due to my history.

In my case, the tumor was very visible. I guess what really bugs me about my dentist and other doctors who "think" it wasn't cancer IS...if we already had insurance and already concerned about the spot- what does it cost THEM to do the referral for a biopsy to confirm either way. In my case, he did nothing when either he could have done the biopsy (and would have been paid accordingly) or done the referral. What would it cost them just to do it (referral or biopsy)...nothing. So why didn't they just do it??

But I agree, eduation and training of these doctors for cancer screening should be improved. In fact, in my case it was the dental hygenists that were much, much more concerned than my dentist ever was and said I should go get it biopsied.

Female, 36 yrs. old. Stage 1 tongue cancer; no lymph nodes; surgery & radiation