The FDA considers unneccessary exposure to x-rays to be an MDR reportable event (Medical Device Report). They consider it to be an injury issue. The same goes for when scans are lost and studies need to be repeated. "Timer" components are considered "critical devices" on x-ray equipment and their failures are investigated seriously as well. Institutions, health care professionals, manufacturers and private citizens can file an FDA form 3500 to Medwatch. See: http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/problem.html

It is a little absurd considering all of the ionizing radiation we have received in treatment. Are you actually "injured" from an x-ray or scan study gone awry - probably not.

I must admit I had to laugh when the dentist placed the little lead apron over me a week after I had completed therapeutic radiation in a foot thick concrete, lead lined room (to protect the rad techs).

Diagnostic x-ray energy potentials are very tiny compared to therapeutic. Can this potential cause pain? - I would seriously look for another cause.

The risk is that every x-ray exposure adds to your lifetime exposure total, as x-ray exposure is cumulative.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)