Ed,

It's strange that you should mention this. I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago that has had me rattled ever since.

I've had some ongoing back-of-the-neck pain that my oncologist (my primary care doctor) wanted to check out, so he ordered cervical spine x-rays. The machine was obviously zeroed in on basically the same area where I had radiation 15 years ago. The technician seemed to be having problems with the machine and after a couple of shots she moved me to a different one to complete the process. Within a few hours, the lining of my mouth (tongue, gums, back of the throat) was in pain, similar to what I had felt a couple of weeks into radiation. I called my doctor in a panic, and he assured me that the conventional x-ray machines would not generate enough radiation to cause any damage, but frankly I'm at a loss to understand why I had that kind of sudden reaction.

The pain has been subsiding gradually each day, but you can be sure I'm watching that area very closely again.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989