I agree with Brian that this is an entirely appropriate topic. Many has passed since I have been on the forum. Their caregivers need this information to be able to prepare for death and also to prepare the dying.

The mystery of it is the most disturbing aspect and that's what the hospice people do so well is to take the mystery out of it by educating the caregivers on what to look for and how to cope. They have untold experience with this sort of thing -probably better than any other source - sadly, including your doctor.

The actual process has been shared, in different forms, numerous times and can be pieced together with a little research in the archives.

Certainly this topic is not for everyone. Some here have enough fear dealing with the day to day realities of cancer as it is but this is a valid caregiver topic.

Before my father passed I had to prepare him for his death. What did that look like? It was a multidimensional thing. Obviously spiritual preparation but so were many other things, sharing feelings, clearing up misconceptions, last wishes, sharing memories, family history, etc.

My personal philosphy is to always be prepared for my death.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)