He did finally try the mixture...he can't tolerate the salt but can tolerate the baking soda. His reluctance is that there have been so many things he has put in his mouth that have hurt, burned, felt awful...he was hesitant to try one new thing.

He really dipped when he got thrush and has never fully recovered as the mucositus continued to get worse while the thrush was getting better.

According to his RO on Friday, his mouth is on target to where it should be at this stage of treatment...and, he's been feverish throughout ( a side effect of the chemo). I can not wait for this to be over!

We are only getting RXs from his RO and MO team...no time to visit anymore docs...but, I do appreciate the warning.

His RO really thought the capsol should do the trick on the thick stringy mucous, but it just doesn't seem to be doing anything. Now, I have the baking soda mix in a squirt bottle by the bed and he is using it regularly and just spitting it out in a cup. It's too early to tell if it's working, but he's trying.

Since he's gotten that thick mucous, he has had trouble taking in any of the protein shakes...he's really dipping in calories...but, this has only been a problem since Friday. He has chemo and consultations tomorrow, so hopefully we will be able to figure out how to keep him hydrated and full of calories. Amy, I will ask about the suction machine then too.

On a good note, his energy level was up today, his pain is under control and other than not eating or drinking nearly enough he is doing surprisingly well today.

Marcus, how are you feeling now that the fever is gone? You still have mucositis...do you also have the thick mucous? Or, did that go away yet? I hope you are doing well!

As always, thanks for all the help!

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.