Since to the best of my knowledge none writing up to this point are medical professionals (including me), and since none writing up to this point have any first hand knowledge of this patient, Why are there suggestions that we know more than her doctors?

We all know about our particular love hate relationship with PEG tubes, but really should anyone be making this daughter uncomfortable with the medical professionals' decision?

I have had first hand conversations with full-grown women describing the pain they endured from the installation of the PEG tube, and the ongoing pain, loss of normal body image, prolonged return to a more normal life, inability to feel able to carry on a love life, infections and odor problems. All needless additional forms of suffering if she is able to control pain well enough to swallow.

My case is rested.

To Sarah's daughter, please don't worry about this particular subject matter. PEG tubes have been argued about here before and we do try to be civil about it. Generally supporters of PEG tubes are folks that had them, and the folks that tend to be conservative about them are the people (like me) that got by fine without it.

If her doctors decide your mother needs a PEG I'll be fine with that. smile

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.