Thanks, everyone for the reassurances. I didn't think what the roommate was experiencing was the norm, either, so I guess I was just looking for some affirmation. When I arrived at the hospital this morning, Ken was completely exhausted from lack of sleep. The roommate had been up all night, sick or in the bathroom, with battalions of medical people constantly in and out of the room. Also, his room is right beside the nurses station. I requested a private room (none available), but they were able to move him down the hall, away from the station, and in with a man recovering from a transplant who just sleeps a lot. What a difference it made! The room is quieter, less traffic in and out, and Ken is able to use the bathroom. Before, he had to go down the hall to the public restroom because his was always occupied. So I didn't feel as bad leaving today, because I know he will sleep better and have more peace of mind. It was really nice this afternoon; we drew the curtains and I crawled up on the bed and we took a nap together! Hope I didn't break any rules!
Rosie, Dolores the cat is 14 years old, fat and sassy, and likes to sit with me when I am online-hence the original screen name. I answer to either one....

Sherry (Dolores is the name of my cat) Wife to Ken, starting chemo/radiation 10/25/04. Stage IV SCC of right tonsil, T2,N2A,MO