Nicki,

A "port" is a central access line or a port-a-cath which is either a PIC line that is a long-term IV connection on the arm usually or a surgically implanted device in the shoulder that has a line going just about to the heart. It is used for blood draws, chemo, medication and fluids or anything administered IV. TPN is literally a bag of liquid food that is put straight into the veins. They mix it up based on caloric requirements and includes vitamins and lipids or fats. I was throwing up so much even using the PEG that eventually I started taking fluids and TPN feedings through my port at home. My creatinine was high and since cisplatin is known to cause kidney damage, they felt keeping adequate fluids in me would be the only way to continue treatment. I put in about 3 liters per day for many weeks.

There are some enteral feeding bags you can purchase from the drugstore and you put the Boost or whatever in the bag and connect it to the PEG tube with a controlled drip so it can be as slow as you want. The bag needs to be elevated and we bought a used IV pole for about $35 or you can rent by the month.

Be careful, though, because I was carrying the bag into the bathroom and as I was leaving, I hooked the tube under the door and about halfway through the bathroom I was like a dog running to the end of the leash eek . Not only did it embarass me, stop me in my tracks but it also hurt like heck. They weren't sure if this broke my ribs or the fall when I blacked out a few weeks later. I think each event broke one.

I had a lot of gurgling and digestive issues from chemo until weeks after radiation ended. I went almost 40 days without eating anything because of it. I vomitted the PEG feedings within 15 minutes of starting no matter how much I put in or how fast. I love the taste of Boost now, though.

God Bless,

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021