Minnie,

I am really sorry you had such a rough time growing up. I grew up with what I call a second-generation alcoholic family. My grandfather was a horrible drunk but the Chief of Police in a small town. He kept a bottle of Old Crow under the seat in his police car. As you know, there are tons of stories growing up with alcoholics in the family. I am glad you see the illness side of it and don't dwell on the person. It may not make it easier but it is much more practical.

I went through the interferon treatments for a year. It is very debilitating but a bit different from chemo as we had it. The cramping and almost passing out are most likely the result of dehydration. As a general rule, if you take the weight (in lbs) divide by 2, this is the MINIMUM number of ounces of water to drink per day. More is better but not taking this much will guarentee muscle cramps and lightheadedness. I also had headaches so bad that I went in for CT scans and MRI's more than once. Each time I was dehydrated as confirmed with electrolyte deficiencies in blood work.

Diet is also very important with the interferon. I am assuming he is also on the Ribavirin or combo therapy as it is called. As with any liver ailments, proper diet is essential. The focus is on a non-greasy, low-fat, high alkiline diet. Avoid all citrus fruit except lemons. Lemons are known to stimulate and regulate the production of liver enzymes. Blueberries are good as is cottage cheese. All other cheese and dairy products should be avoided. Egg yolks (as in sunny-side up or in drinks) are good but cooked eggs are not. Protein supplements are good but only whey and not in excess. Apples, bananas, veggies, etc., are all good. There are some good Spirulina/Whey drinks out that will give more energy and protein. Excercise in moderation is necessary. With the Ribavirin and Interferon, white blood counts go real low and are supposed to be monitored at least once per month through the treatment. Red blood cells also dip down and stay down, often after treatment ends. Procrit is used in extreme cases as is Nupogena in extreme cases of low white blood counts.

There is a great book called the Hep C Primer that goes into great detail and a few Hep C websites that explain why the diet has to be altered, etc.

I hope this helps. Doing nothing will not only make it worse but end up destroying the liver. As Gary points out, hep c is the main cause of liver transplants.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021