Minnie,
I was an alcoholic for many years - mainly a beer drinker and never had a DUI, always held a job and was what we call in the program, a high functioning drunk. This wino in the doorway, days of wine and roses shit is a little passe and very naive view of "normies". More and more modern day alcoholics are professional people. And yes, we are usually quite charming and lovable, contrary to the typical Hollywood stereotype. The moral of the story is that things often aren't as they appear.

That said, since he is dx'd with a liver problem I hope that he is able to abstain from drinking -forever (I too have a serious liver problem known as Hep C).

None of the medications they gave me worked really well for nausea and the fatigue had a mind of its own, although since I had radiation also, it's apples and oranges. The best thing he can do is talk to his doctors and nutritionist and start finding some solutions to these problems. He may have to try different things such as Zofran, compazine or others. This is all complicated by the liver issue. All meds will have to be carefully scrutinized for potential for liver damage so no one can really advise you here what to try.

This sounds a lot like a hep C treatment protocol (interferon). It is done a lot like chemo and has the same effects. My doctor told me that there are over 5 miilion undiagnosed cases of people with hep C walking around America today. He said it was the "new frontier" of medicine. Since there is a stigma to having hep C maybe he doesn't want to go public with it.

The liver is a vital organ, you can't live without one. It is critical that liver disease be held in check -even if this means taking some down time. As far as the passing out thing while driving - he should not be on the road. This is a clear and present danger to the rest of us. I didn't get behind the wheel of a car for over 6 months because of the very same issues.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)