Dee,

I know I have said this before but your mother was so blessed to have you by her side through it all. Thank you for sharing the story.

My mother passed away almost 5 years ago. She had a very special friend that was by her side for many years (10+). They did everything together and when I moved my mother to my house, I remember the look on his face as we boarded the plan. I never expected him to live long. Two weeks ago his daughter came to his house and advised him she was moving him to a nursing home and he had 90 days to get everything in order and fill out some forms for her. He was crushed and we have spent the past couple of weeks getting him ready to move here. Saturday he got a notice that his driver's license was revoked by his family writing a letter to DMV and saying he was unfit to drive. I tried to calm him down and remind him he would be well taken care of in a matter of days and we would get everything worked out. He didn't answer the phone on Monday or Tuesday and Wednesday his phone was disconnected. I have been frantically calling lawyers and others trying to find out what happened. He was in a small town in rural Virginia. I called the post office and the lady working there informed me he had a fatal heart attack Monday night. I am still in shock to think he was just hours away from a more comfortable life. He was like a father to me and we talked on the phone often. I missed his funeral service because I found out too late.

Your post about people wanting to push someone off to a nursing home really hit me hard. Sorry for the rambling but I am so angry, so hurt, so confused about it all. He had just decided to move here Saturday and we should be getting him situated in his new room, not reading his obituary.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021